Accident - John Bachar and Steve Karafa

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Anders Ourom

Accident - John Bachar and Steve Karafa

Post by Anders Ourom » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:34 pm

Climbing legend John Bachar, his partner Steve Karafa, and John's friend Anastasia Frangos were involved in a serious accident in eastern Nevada on August 13th. They had been attending the Outdoor Retailer trade show in Salt Lake City, and were on their way home. John, Steve and Dario Piana are partners in a fairly new rock shoe company called Acopa (www.acopausa.com), Steve as president. Their vehicle went off the road and rolled. Steve was thrown from the vehicle and died at the scene. John broke several vertebrae in his neck, and had other injuries, and was airlifted to hospital. Anastasia received relatively minor (physical) injuries.

John has apparently not suffered any loss of sensation or mobility, but may require surgery, and undoubtedly faces a lengthy period of rehabilitation. A full recovery is expected, but he will have to wear a brace for some time, and endure some disability. John has no medical insurance. Donations to help with expenses can be sent to:

Mammoth Mountaineering Supply
("John Bachar Fund")
PO BOX 2297
Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
Or contact Dave Talsky at dave@mammothgear.com

There is much more news about this at:http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/threa ... 8&f=35&b=0

and: http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/threa ... 30&f=0&b=0

I understand that Acopa plans to carry on. Their shoes are apparently available at Wicked Gravity in Calgary, and there is a Canadian representative. The shoes are available by mail order, and may become more widely available in Canada.

Anders Ourom

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:52 pm

it's so sad! especially happening to someone who soloed like a mad man!!
:cry:

Climbing yogi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Climbing yogi » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:18 pm

I hope he heal's quick from his wound's,but the loss of his friend will be the hardest to recover from.
Know climbing know peace,No climbing no peace.