Marking holds

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Swinex
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Marking holds

Post by Swinex » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:37 pm

Hi All,

Been climbing at Chek pretty much every weekend this glorious summer. Over the last month I've recently discovered the great climbs on Crest Crag. A couple of week-ends ago I was upset to see that someone had placed little chalk marks on all the hand (and foot) placements on most, if not all of the routes. I realize the chalk marks will wear off over time and it's inevitable to see hand holds that are all chalked up. But purposefully marking off all the placements, especially for feet, it takes something away from the climb in being able to work through the problem. For whoever did this, if you need it to be clear where all the hand and foot holds are, go to a climbing gym!

In short, please don't mark the routes! :x

Clive kessler

Post by Clive kessler » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:58 pm

Here's an idea... Quit climbing (and whinning) as the pressure seems to be getting to you.
Last edited by Clive kessler on Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:29 pm

Tick marks??????People don't even brush the chalk off holds anymore, do you really think they're going to care about tick marks. BTW-I don't care about tick marks. :roll:

Strongbad

Post by Strongbad » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:19 pm

Part of this is proabalby my fault. Most of the routes at the crest are mine and I do tend to mark holds while I'm working them. I should probably clean them off when i open them so others don't think its O.K. to leave them there. We should be cleaning routes when we are done setting them and working them.

Pete

Clive kessler

Post by Clive kessler » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:32 pm

I like the ticks on From beneath...

Swinex
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Swinex » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:39 am

So how does wanting to maintian the challenge of figuring out a route relate to being an environmentalist? I am just as guilty as everyone else by using chalk, but ticking essentially does not allow you the option of whether you want beta or not.
Nonetheless, I'll carry a brush with me from now on. As far as bolting my own routes...not there yet. For now I'll just keep enjoying the ones you guys are setting up. Great job by the way.

Peace, love and happy climbing!

monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:16 pm

Myself, I'm against ticking, chiipping, and drawing big arrows!
Yeah right! :roll:

Mighty-T
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Mighty-T » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:20 pm

Wow Meingh. Do you ever see in shades of gray? or is everything black and white!!! :roll:

Strongbad

Post by Strongbad » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:27 am

get a freakin' room

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:47 pm

Everybody knows he sees things in black and white. Absolutely no compassion/compromise/understanding.