Climbing Fatality

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
tutrussler

Climbing Fatality

Post by tutrussler » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:48 am

Just to inform everyone here; there was a climbing related death in Squamish last week.

A climber was on Flying Circus at the Smoke Bluffs; fell; blew two pieces of gear and decked.

Thankfully the Canadian Army boys in town were sharing the crag and their medic was able to stabilize him until BC Amb arrived on site. He was transported to Lion's Gate in North Vancouver via helicopter and unfortunately succumbed to his injuries later in the week.

I would not normally post this here except I have seen or heard nothing from local media. As though this never happened.

My sympathies to his family and friends.

Dooley

Post by Dooley » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:05 pm

This should be a reminder to everyone that our sport is indeed dangerous! We take for granted that the equipment will always hold, even if not placed perfectly.....I know I have :oops: (I have no idea if the gear was placed correctly or not, just a statement)

All the best to the family!
When in doubt....run it out!!!!

Cloudraker

Post by Cloudraker » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:03 pm

Sad news :(

Axel

Post by Axel » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:37 pm

Terrible news. Does anyone know if he was wearing a helmet, just curious.

JSmith

Post by JSmith » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:47 pm

No helmet, "practice fall" on a blue alien. Jumped from two feet above pro. Alien blows, next piece stops him from decking. Cause of trauma was flipping upside down and hitting head. Can't speculate on cause of flip, belayer says the rope was not behind the leg.
Inexperience combined with bad judgement.

Condolences to family and friends.

bradley3297

Post by bradley3297 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:27 pm

so sad this could have been avoided with helmet. ive seen flip overs and since then my helmet stays on. tragic.
Bradley

paulc

Post by paulc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:36 pm

Heard the same as JSmith over the weekend.

RIP, my thoughts are with those who are affected by this tragedy.

Paul

jefffski

Post by jefffski » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:03 pm

Condolences to family and friends. We climbers engage in a sport for the love of the rock, the adventure and camaraderie. I hope that in the time this person enjoyed climbing it brightened his life and you were able to share in his excitement. Perhaps because of him, more of us will find ways to be safer, so that in this, at least, he will have made an important contribution.

Peace.

enchanted

Post by enchanted » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:30 am

I am afraid his excitement for climbing got the better of him and his physical climbing ability far exceeded his technical knowledge and understanding. I wish I got to know him better but what I can tell you is he was a very friendly, outgoing person who loved playing music, climbing, and his friends and family. He drew people to him and he is missed by many. RIP, Vince.

Please take care when you're out there.

sherri

Post by sherri » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:30 pm

Thanks for sharing that. We should all hope to be remembered so kindly. Condolences to those whose lives were touched by him, including those of us who have only come to know of him through his unfortunate and untimely death.
Girls just want to have fun.

jacques
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Re: Climbing Fatality

Post by jacques » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:04 pm

tutrussler wrote:Just to inform everyone here; there was a climbing related death in Squamish last week.
Be sorry, not surprise.

The climber is from Quebec city. I heard three accident of this kind this week. One of my friend fall 10 feets when the rope go throught the belay, fortunately he have a good knowledge of security and he have no injury. A second climber fell on his coxis (bumb) because the belayer didn't belay him corectely, and an other fell and his feet was caught by the rope: he fell head first and his helmet protect him.

As they banish me from escalade quebec and doctortopo forum because I talk to much about security and inform the climber of dangerous things, I can't be blame for this death. In Quebec, we have a means of one mortality per year and we are few climber. When I talk on the forum, there is no accident.

You never know when an accident could happen, but it is possible that our teacher in Quebec gave wrong advice to make fast money.

Last week, I told to my partner that he was stupid to put his life in danger for nothing. He was proud to make a fall of 35 feet on his pro...like the one vincent practice. I climb 5.10 at sight with stopper and cam.

climb safe

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:16 pm

Jacques... so are you saying you know this dead climber, or you belayed him?

thanks.

jacques
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by jacques » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:02 am

Brendan wrote:Jacques... so are you saying you know this dead climber, or you belayed him? :
I said be sorry, not surprise. I climb with few quebec climber and don't which to. In 25 years, maybe I don't climb over my level, maybe I practice a lot to be able to do my route without accident. I never injure a climber yet. I'm not planing to go to squamish either. I wrote to have geater security for new quebec climber.

Sorry for my english, it will improve as my partner is from usa.

have fun

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:21 am

jacques wrote:Sorry for my english, it will improve as my partner is from USA.
i'm not quite sure it will improve, Jacques... :oops:

paulc

Post by paulc » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:33 am

Brendan;

I kinda have the feeling you are getting trolled.

Paul