Topo for Horne Lake

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
mcgarnickle

Topo for Horne Lake

Post by mcgarnickle » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:06 pm

Does anyone know where to find a recent-ish topo of Horne Lake? I know the directions to it, I just need the actual crag topo. Thanks.
Μολὼν λάβε

Steve J

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:40 pm

You won't find a topo because technically the crag is closed. Anyone producing a topo for others is promoting a false idea that the crag is open. I've heard of one "underground" from locals.

Just remember it is technically still close and the Access Society is treading lightly to work toward ensuring it can re-open permenantly. Our carelessness can destroy that work.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:53 pm

well McG, looks like it's 'closed' so i wouldn't risk it... pls don't jeopardize it for the rest of us.

Steve Townshend

Who says Horne Lake is Closed?????

Post by Steve Townshend » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:12 pm

since i first came to BC 6 yrs ago Horne Lake has had this rumor that is is "closed". where does it say that? i don't know? who's imposing it? i don't know? i looked and tried to find the answers to these questions and here's what i came up with:

it WAS (past tense) a "voluntary closer" meaning: until access was more certain climbers were taking it upon themselves to chose to not go there.

i respected this at first, but then i asked: "well, if everybody isn't going there until access assured, who's working on the problem?" nobody could answer me so we went there and did some digging......

we found out that it is owned by the people who own property at the Lake. therefore, if you have permission from any ONE person who owns property there, then you have permission from the "land owners" and CAN climb there. we currently have permission from MANY MANY MANY of the land owners as ALL the cottage owners have no problem with us climbing there.... only ONE GUY is against climbers because he is afraid of getting sued (this is what one of the local cottage owners told us). This guy tried to rally all the cottage owners against climbers but all his neighbors think he's crazy and said "no way dude! climbers aren't going to sue you! lighten up and let them have fun!"

Ok, so we have permission from land owners..... what else......

Well, one day we were there and we were cooking breakfast near the Caves.... no need for details here (long story) but suffice to say, we had an "altercation" with the guys who guide the caves.... words got said and they threatened to call the RCMP on my friend..... and they did!!!

As we were walking to the crag (during the fire ban a few years back) the RCMP car drove into the parking lot behind my friends truck! when we got to the crag we heard the cops yelling "owners of the Black Truck, come back to your car are it will get towed away!".... we were scared by my friend braved it out and went down to talk to the Cops......

here's what they said.....

they said that that guy (who guides the Caves) is a jerk and has wasted their time with rediculous phone calls in the past. they said that the picknick tables by the caves are PUBLIC PROPERTY and not owned by the Caving guides and therefore EVERYBODY can use them (that's what the argument was about in the first place). they also said that we are 100% allowed to climb there and they were very impressed that we could climb on such steep rock! then just before they left they said "oh yeah, there's a fire ban right now, so just don't light any fires, ok?"

Summary... we have permission from the Land Owners AND from the RCMP to climb at Horne Lake..... so i ask again.... who says it's closed?

this "Horne Lake is closed" story has been going on for at least 6 yrs but yet there are climbers there EVERY weekend in the summer and most in the fall and spring as well! last weekend my friend was there and said there were at least 15 other people there..... so again.... who says it's closed????

i believe that people are saying "it's closed" because they are selfish and don't want crowds there (because it is pretty small and not alot of room if there's more than 6ish people there). but come on, it's an old rumor and it is NOT TRUE so get over it.... go there, have fun and just be respectfull of the locals so that it stays OPEN!

Have fun at the crag!

Cloudraker

Re: Who says Horne Lake is Closed?????

Post by Cloudraker » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:52 pm

Steve Townshend wrote:since i first came to BC 6 yrs ago Horne Lake has had this rumor that is is "closed". where does it say that? i don't know? who's imposing it? i don't know?
You must not have looked very hard to find out who says it's closed:

There is no further news with regard to our proposal to the Horne Lake cottage owners' association on climbers' access to this cliff. We plan to approach the owners again, and if possible make a presentation about climbing at Horne Lake, the Access Society, and what we could do to help. We also plan to approach the regional district. We surmise that at least some owners remain concerned about possible liability, and perhaps water quality issues. The changes to the Occupier's Liability Act in 1999 strictly limited potential liability, if they didn't eliminate it, and there hasn't even been a test case. However, Horne Lake is on private land and remains officially closed.

http://access-society.ca/updates/updates.html

If the access society says that it remains officially closed, then I reckon it's officially closed.

Cloudraker

Re: Who says Horne Lake is Closed?????

Post by Cloudraker » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:03 pm

Steve Townshend wrote:i believe that people are saying "it's closed" because they are selfish and don't want crowds there (because it is pretty small and not alot of room if there's more than 6ish people there). but come on, it's an old rumor and it is NOT TRUE so get over it.... go there, have fun and just be respectfull of the locals so that it stays OPEN!

Have fun at the crag!
Good to know that you've done your homework before posting this stupid sh*t on the internet Steve Townsend.

CASBC's Nanaimo director, Greg Sorensen, is working to build a relationship with the new owners. They have many pressing concerns - finances, management, road work, water supply, sewage disposal. The owners are aware of climbing interest at Horne Lake, and seem willing to listen. CASBC is working on solutions to several issues they are concerned about, including liability, increased traffic, parking, camping, fires, litter, and human waste. We have provided information about changes to the Occupiers Liability Act, which eliminate potential liability. We are also drawing up a proposal to present to the strata council.

Unfortunately, this process takes time. In the meantime, we need the commitment of all climbers to respect the closure. We'll let you know as soon as Horne Lake re-opens to climbing. In the meantime, every time anyone climbs at Horne Lake, it decreases the chance of resolving this issue. From the perspective of the owners, they have more important priorities. Those climbing there before an agreement is reached, however few and discreet, only show that climbers can't be relied on, and are at least a potential problem. If climbing continues, the owners have asked Nanaimo-area climbers to remove the first few bolt hangers from all existing climbs, pending a solution.

- source: Greg Sorensen

dakine

Post by dakine » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:39 am

i can pee farther than you can Gary :wink: