Garibaldi at Squamish

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Peter

Garibaldi at Squamish

Post by Peter » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:33 pm

tobyfk

Post by tobyfk » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:37 pm

I went to the presentation for this project at the Sea to Sky hotel last month. I spoke with some of the provincial environmental assessment people as well as some of the development team. My impression is that it is has a reasonable chance of being approved, though it sounds like the process could still be lengthy (18 months +). I am in two minds as to whether it would be a positive development for Squamish. Leaving aside the environmental issues - which for any purist obviously don't stack up - I think it's regretable that the scheme needs to be 4-season with golf courses to make the numbers work. Does the 'Outdoor Recreation Capital of Canada' really need two more golf courses .. especially at a cost of suburbanising the landscape around Brohm Lake? I'd be much more in favour if the scheme were just a small'ish high-altitude ski resort.

Very interested in other people's views on this ...

bike

Post by bike » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:24 pm

Hasn't this been shot down before? I thought they have tried to build there for years. They just keep trying until it gets past.

I don't know? I think Whistler is enough.

YetAnotherDave

Post by YetAnotherDave » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:11 pm

I don't think this is needed - there's enough golfing around, and whistler/blackcomb is already expanding to handle current list-service demand...

tobyfk

Post by tobyfk » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:11 pm

bike wrote:Hasn't this been shot down before?
My understanding is that it was held up by First Nation issues for years, not actually 'shot down'. It has never got to this provincial EAO stage before. The significance of that is that the approval process now has had a defined timetable and outcome (ie yes/no rather than maybe one day ...). Again, that's just my understanding from talking to people at the presentation.

glomeruli

Post by glomeruli » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:59 am

i like the idea of another local ski hill! i hope it's steep