Stcik Clips

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
MCpl

Post by MCpl » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:43 pm

I don't know if Brendan can be so generous to even say he is unfunny.

I just think that you have not and cannot contribute anything constructive. Its not that you're uneducated, you just don't say anything worthwhile for the rest of us. Its either a slag or its a brag about something you did. For that, and to reinforce your education, you get a gold star from me.

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:50 pm

The reason why I'm going off?

The original discussion being about ethics has de-evolved to what's "cool" or people adding unnecessary comments (ie. stick clips are for short people). It feels like high school all of a sudden on this forum and we've actually been able to avoid that for the longest time.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:39 pm

MCpl wrote:I don't know if Brendan can be so generous to even say he is unfunny.

I just think that you have not and cannot contribute anything constructive. Its not that you're uneducated, you just don't say anything worthwhile for the rest of us. Its either a slag or its a brag about something you did. For that, and to reinforce your education, you get a gold star from me.
uh, marty... i hope u weren't referring to me? i don't recall bragging about anything i did (in reference to climbing). i'm hardly what you'd call an accomplished climber, so there should be nothing i would want to brag about... i understand why you're pissed at my comment earlier and i prolly shouldn't have made it (sorry gary) :cry:
i made that comment cause this topic, like many topics here, are lame. it was just boring and i was bored so i said a bored thing. :roll:

thanks for being understanding everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rich k

Post by rich k » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:12 am

Brendan wrote:but then again, i clip that bomber Fixe bolt at the top of the first pitch of the Daily Planet!! it could easily be done by running out a bomber .5 or .75 camalot, but it's there, so i use it... :P
Brendan wrote:uh, marty... i hope u weren't referring to me? i don't recall bragging about anything i did (in reference to climbing).
haha.

original gorby

Post by original gorby » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:57 pm

Geez, didn't realize stick clips were such a touchy subject. Just making a joke comparing stick clips to leather fanny packs and thus far I have been called a braggart, a couch potato, an unemployed person, threatened with a baseball bat, called egotistical, called naive and told that I don't climb hard enough... all by somebody who doesn't know me....

Anyways... Stick-clip all you want, don't stick-clip all you want doesn't really matter as long as you're having a good time.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:17 pm

rich k wrote:
Brendan wrote:but then again, i clip that bomber Fixe bolt at the top of the first pitch of the Daily Planet!! it could easily be done by running out a bomber .5 or .75 camalot, but it's there, so i use it... :P
Brendan wrote:uh, marty... i hope u weren't referring to me? i don't recall bragging about anything i did (in reference to climbing).
haha.
come on rich... i wasn't bragging!!!! :oops:
and besides, the planet's not thaat hard (except the last pitch). :cry:

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:34 pm

Thanks for all of the constructive/destructive comments. I do use a stick on the occasions my rope gun/climbing partner isn't around. I will continue to use my stick clip when needed so I can go to work and continue climbing. At least now I know I am not being unethical.

XXXX

Post by XXXX » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:54 pm

There's a difference between cheater sticking cause you can't stomach a boulder problem start, and cheater sticking when the first bolt has been placed in such a location that it can only be clipped via stick, not from the route. In the latter situation use of a cheater stick is entirely justified.

Pete L.
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Pete L. » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:38 pm

Just came back from a three week sport climbing trip to Utah, (AF and Maple) and spent ten months on the road last year mostly sport climbing.
Squamish seems to be stuck in a vortex of some sorts. Stick clips are the norm at every sport climbing area we went to. In some cases there were communal sticks left at some walls for anyone to use.
New routes in many of the areas we went to even have first bolts placed high with stick clips in mind so that ground falls are a thing of the past.
The high first bolt also gives the belayer a nicer "fly zone" for when the climber takes the big whipper.
I generally "sticked" up when the first bolt was high as having a ten month trip cut short due to ego was not a part of my plan.

Also,
Anyone know where I can get a good telescoping "cheater" stick?

bike

Post by bike » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:01 am

Now who's bragging!? Ten month road trip! Come on get a job Pete L!! :D

To jump into this debate late. I am not much of a climber. Don't care, don't keep track of grades and TR, or use a rope gun or cheater clip a lot of the time.

I climb to get excersise, have fun with friends, be outside and so on... Everyone is different. I just hope that everyone is being safe. Which a clip stick will let you do in many cases.

My 2 bits. Not that it matters :D

Peter

Post by Peter » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:05 am

As Pete said, some routes have the first bolt specifically set up for a stick clip for various reasons, so it is meant to be stick clipped.........

Mike C.

Post by Mike C. » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:22 am

Pete L. wrote:Also,
Anyone know where I can get a good telescoping "cheater" stick?
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... PartNumber

im sure they have ones that extend further. and seriously, sport climbing advice from a boulderer. thats rich.

:]
And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? --Homer Simpson

Mike C.

Post by Mike C. » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:27 am

oh, and Marty is F%$#$&^ hilarious. you guys need to get him upset more often.
And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? --Homer Simpson