Stcik Clips

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Charlie

Stcik Clips

Post by Charlie » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:25 pm

I would like to ask the question:

"Are stick clips unethical by Squamish climbing standards?"

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:40 pm

Stick clip "ethics" are normally created/determined by so-called hardman no-fear climbers who typically don't have to go to work Monday morning.

XXXX

Post by XXXX » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:08 am

First off the name is not a "stick clip". The name is "cheater stick".
Secondly the first point should tell you everything you need to know.

original gorby

Post by original gorby » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:48 am

Unethical?.... No
Similiar to pre-hanging really long draws on a route

Uncool?.....Yes
Similiar to leather fanny packs, trekking poles and pocket protectors

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:36 am

stick clips are for short people... hence gary's need for one :oops:

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:21 am

uneducated response?? haha. ok.
so what you're saying is i'm the one who needs to... bwahaha, grow up?? :lol: :wink:

original gorby

Post by original gorby » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:10 pm

I have actually stick clipped 3 times in 5 years - once due to a wet, slimy start and twice due to death landings....
Nobody was around (exept my belayer) and I immediately disposed of the evidence to avoid embarrassment.
I am not saying that stick-clipping is right or wrong... just that I would rather be caught masturbating in a movie theater than stick-clipping at the crags.
Just one guy's opinion.

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:32 pm

Embrassment huh? So you would be more proud to sit at home all summer with an injury while the rest of us are out having fun. I guess you would rather brag (aka feel proud of) about your couch potato a$%.

The reason why you stick clipped is cuz you didn't want to get hurt. Anyone advocating the non-use of stick clips are advocating that they would prefer to get hurt. Well I'll save you some time and increase my enjoyment if you would just ask me to take a baseball bat to your ankles or whatever joint you would like instead.

Takes me back to what I said originally. People that come up with this non-use of stick clip ethics ... normally can't see pass their own ego and they normally don't have a job with any responsibility where they have to be there come monday.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:54 pm

using a stick clip is arguably in the same league as clipping a bolt if natural gear is available...
i use stick clips. but then again, i clip that bomber Fixe bolt at the top of the first pitch of the Daily Planet!! it could easily be done by running out a bomber .5 or .75 camalot, but it's there, so i use it... :P

original gorby

Post by original gorby » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:08 pm

It is ridiculous to assume that I would prefer getting hurt - It would be more accurate to assume that I would prefer sending without the use of a stick-clip. I certainly would not be proud to sit at home with an injury all summer, nor would I brag about it. However, I would be proud (of myself - it's not a competition) to send a hard route without stick-clipping. It has nothing to do with ethics or whether or not somebody has a job to go to on Monday morning - Just personal preference... My preference being to try and send routes from the ground up without stick-clipping, aiding, toproping etc... whenever possible... if that somehow makes me a couch potato?!? then so be it. Anybody and everybody has every right to climb a route as they see fit. (unless of course they are chipping, drilling, nailing or glueing an established route of course)

And the baseball bat thing... come on now, no need to get so upset about somebody's climbing style when it conflicts with your own.

mcgarnickle

Post by mcgarnickle » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:39 pm

meingh wrote:
Brendan wrote:stick clips are for short people... hence gary's need for one :oops:
Probably the most uneducated response possible. :roll:

PS. I haven't used a stick clip in about 3 years :lol:
Uneducated??? Jeez, maybe unfunny, ok, but uneducated? Someone sure is bitter and overly sensitive these days...

p.s. brendan , go back to school foo!

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:37 pm

Looks like original gorbi is jonesing to be the first person to do Pulse without the first 3 clips pre-clipped. Good for you.

The thing is... I can name a whole slew of other routes, like Pulse, where every hard climber that comes along stick-clips or preclips. You just haven't climbed hard enough and are too naive to be spouting off.
Last edited by MCpl on Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.