mount haybrich

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
ryan_boarder

mount haybrich

Post by ryan_boarder » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:59 pm

Hey.
Wanted to do haybrich this week. I was just wondering what the approach is like this time of year. Too snowy? Or dooable. MCpl... i'm hoping for honesty here (;
Whether you think you can or you think you can't... you're right.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:20 am

maybe try the link below for a more accurate answer as to how the roads are around that area. given that they're used to access Sky Pilot quite often.
http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthr ... p/ubb/cfrm

tobyfk

Post by tobyfk » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:04 am

You probably already know this but: the road is still blocked very low down, right at the the base of the Stawamus-Indian FSR (almost level with the end of Valleycliffe). Or it was two days ago. When I asked about this on the forum a year or so ago people suggested it may be possible to drive around the blockade with a high-clearance 4x4 but that looked unlikely to me at the current blockade site.

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:12 pm

The blockade was passible last year until they started giving out tickets that were in the 200$ range and they put more blocks in. Now you gotta walk or bike, but it will be all snow once up high, have a look next time your in squish its mighty snowy up there still.

Tenn

Post by Tenn » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:30 pm

Could be a bit early. Likely still snow in the forest below the SW face. when we did it snow in the forest was firm and definitely made the final bit of the approach (from the road to the rock) easier than walking through bush. As well, if the route is dry and the approach isn't an isothermal wallow then its great timing. Views over to Skypilot (whose north face is still holding loads of snow) are great.

We did the walk in from the Indian/Mamaquam junction with bikes and it wasn't too bad. Pretty doable as a 2 dayer (1 in, 1 to climb and come out).

Mr.Sleazy

Habrich approach

Post by Mr.Sleazy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:58 pm

I was just up the Shannon Road as far as the boulder blockade last weekend on my dirt bike, so have recent info.

The Stawamus Indian is still gated down by the chlorine shack, right above Valleycliffe at the junction of the Stawamus Indian and Mamquam roads. No way around with a 4x4 - a quad, dirt bike, or mountain bike is the ticket, unless you have a horse. Otherwise, its shanks mare....

The Shannon Ck road is in truly rough shape - its alder choked and washed out for several sections, it would be tough in a 4x4 even if you could get past the gate. However, I saw some new falling boundary ribbon up beside the road, so there is timber harvest proposed there and they will likely upgrade the road....

From the gate, its approximately 8-10 km to the end of the spur below Habrich, and about 3,000 ft elevation gain. Another 1 km and about 1500 ft to the base of the SW face of Habrich (I assume that is the direction you want to go - the Kitten on the NE face will still be too wet). It will probably be OK to have snow on the approach - just make things easier. The SW face is quite dry, and if you are looking at Life on Earth that route is on a vague arete and will not be too damp if there are a couple clear days to dry it off.

Good luck!
Brian Pegg

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:17 pm

Hey Brian

crazy about shannon cr road as it was driveable and fine last year.

keep in mind they were ticketing dirt bike riders on that road as well it was 250$ and more if you didnt have liabilty whatever that is..

far as I know it will not be open to the public at any point in the near future

Mr.Sleazy

Shannon Creek rd

Post by Mr.Sleazy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:50 am

J Mace:

I think it washed out significantly over the winter, and the alder has been growing like crazy this spring. Right now its all ribboned up and the washouts have been spray painted for culvert installation - this is a good thing.

I am good with the liability thing on my dirt bike - I have a dual sport bike so its fully insured and street legal. Its a great way to go climbing, but you have to persuade all your climbing partners to get one too, because honestly two guys on a bike is just too femme for me.

I haven't been able to persuade any of my regular partners to buy a bike yet.... and unfortunately most of my climbing partners are male.

Yes the Shannon road (and the Stawamus Indian) are probably a lost cause. Too bad - I remember the glory days when you could get a 4x4 way up into that valley underneath Habrich, and Sky Pilot was a very easy half day outing. About 7 years back I could drive my toyota corolla up to the boulder blockade, and easily up to the Kitten wall too.
Brian Pegg

ryan_boarder

Post by ryan_boarder » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:47 pm

just wanted to say thanks to all those who replied. It will take a little more consideration if a full day is needed to get in.
Whether you think you can or you think you can't... you're right.

Mr.Sleazy

Post by Mr.Sleazy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:54 pm

Ryan B:

Its do-able in a day, but that is a very full day. It depends on how speedy and fit you are. Me for example, a 37 year old college teacher, I might have a tough time hiking in and climbing Life On Earth in a single day anymore, but there are lots out there who would not.

Good luck, be safe.
Brian Pegg

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:25 pm

I climbed LOE last year, in 5 pitches, it felt easier than 10c and had plenty of bolts.

I have a TR on bivouac

I arrived at the base 3 hours after leaving the boulder blockade using a MT bike. Not sure how long from gate to boulders as i lucked out and drove past the gate.

great route and a reasonable day from the boulder blockade

Cheers
Jesse

XXXX

Post by XXXX » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:44 pm

i walked all the way from the gate on the indian river road once and it only took 3 hours. sack it up, or hire a chopper, your call