Stairway Heaven Upper Pitches Status?

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
mattm
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Stairway Heaven Upper Pitches Status?

Post by mattm » Tue May 02, 2006 12:31 pm

Anyone know if the upper pitches (above and climbers left off of Bellygood) are finished? I did the route last spring and the Bellygood pitches as well as those left of the black dike weren't done yet
He who dies with the most toys wins.

5.4 Slayer

Post by 5.4 Slayer » Tue May 02, 2006 4:20 pm

I did it late summer or early fall, it was finished. 40 or 50 foot runnout on the second pitch after Bellygood. Easy climbing, gets the blood flowing though. It will take gear if you have to have it. The Black Dyke pitch was dirty with some loose blocks.

YetAnotherDave

Post by YetAnotherDave » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:14 am

5.4 Slayer wrote:I did it late summer or early fall, it was finished. 40 or 50 foot runnout on the second pitch after Bellygood. Easy climbing, gets the blood flowing though. It will take gear if you have to have it. The Black Dyke pitch was dirty with some loose blocks.
Any recommendations for gear to take? Should I take a wirebrush for the 'new' pitches up high?

There seem to be a lot of variations up high, are there recommendations on which to take?

thanks

Dave

5.4 Slayer

Post by 5.4 Slayer » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:19 pm

YetAnotherDave Posted
Any recommendations for gear to take? Should I take a wirebrush for the 'new' pitches up high?
A few smallish to medium cams would work. As for wire brushing, don't bother. A crowbar and a good stiff shop broom would be better but then people climbing on the base of the Grand Wall will die. We made sure we didn't let anything go.

p.s. how does the whole quote thing work?

5.4 Slayer

Post by 5.4 Slayer » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:19 pm

looks like I pretty much got it, thanks

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:14 pm

5.4 Slayer wrote:looks like I pretty much got it, thanks
Click on the "quote" icon on the right hand side of the statement that you want to cite.

5.4 Slayer

Post by 5.4 Slayer » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:22 pm

okay, got it.

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Mon May 26, 2008 3:37 pm

With a name like Stairway to heaven one would think there would be more to say than wire brushes and crow bars would help..

I had a quick look from Belly good ledge on the weekend and didnt see much that inspired me to head up, plus I only had one rope are these pitches finished or still projects ?

In fact the upper pitches of MF off of bellygood looked a tad dirty as well..are these pitches getting climbed or do they just look dirty ?

Tenn

Post by Tenn » Wed May 28, 2008 1:48 pm

The MF pitches above bellygood are fun. There are two pitches that can be strung together in about 58 meters of climbing. A bit of choss in the middle but mostly good face climbing with a fun 10+ move near the top.

This then accesses a ledge with a few other cool lines that lead to gold medal ribbon - which looks quite good. You can also traverse over from there to the last, upper black dyke pitch.

All in all worth the effort in my opinion.

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Wed May 28, 2008 2:10 pm

Thanks man, geuss I will have to have a little looksee next time

Cheers