Mank Question

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
tsouth

Mank Question

Post by tsouth » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:52 pm

Hey all,
I've got a question regarding replacing some fixed gear and a little ethics on it. A few routes I've been playing on have some old nylon fixed draws. I'd like to know if anyone would have an issue with them being replaced with chain and a steel carabiner. If that's not an issue what size chain and treatment are the go to? 3/8"? One route in particular I'm thinking of is Burning Down the Coil at Fern but there are always others.
Cheers,
Ty

smallman

Re: Mank Question

Post by smallman » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:36 pm

3/8" chain works. The quick link is the important component - 3/8" minimum and use stainless steel biners to reduce wear and potential rope desheathing please.

tsouth

Post by tsouth » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:02 am

Got around to replacing the two draws. There are nice shiny new fixe steel draws where the old nylon ones were. It's only the two as the rest are easier to clip. I considered moving the second fixed draw up to the next bolt which I honestly find harder to clip but figured it was best to stick to where they already were. It's an awesome route and in my opinion one of the better ones at the grade that I've tried.
*edit for spelling
Last edited by tsouth on Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tobyfk

Post by tobyfk » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:44 am

tsouth wrote:Got around to replacing the two draws. There are nice shiny new fixe steel draws were the old nylon ones were. It's only the two as the rest are easier to clip. I considered moving the second fixed draw up to the next bolt which I honestly find harder to clip but figured it was best to stick to where they already were. It's an awesome route and in my opinion one of the better ones at the grade that I've tried.
Great job. I did the route a couple of months ago and happened to have an opportunity to ask the FAer about the age of the draws: they had been there a long time.

tobyfk

Post by tobyfk » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:50 am

The draw on Snowglobe is of similar age, I think.

tsouth

Post by tsouth » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:44 pm

tobyfk wrote:The draw on Snowglobe is of similar age, I think.
Thanks Toby,
I'd love to replace all the old fixed draws with shiny steel ones but they're costly things and I'm a student... again :cry:
The ones on the 11b on the left side of the crag are also old if someone else is feeling like giving back too. I picked Burning the coil as I really like the route, and am not implying Snowglobe or others are less worthy. I just noticed today that MEC is now selling the climbtech fixed draws on their website wish they'd been there a few weeks ago when I ordered the ones I got.

tobyfk

Post by tobyfk » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:59 pm

tsouth wrote:
tobyfk wrote:The draw on Snowglobe is of similar age, I think.
I'd love to replace all the old fixed draws with shiny steel ones but they're costly things and I'm a student... again :cry:
Sorry, I didn't mean "why didn't you replace the others?"! A job for someone else, for sure. I might do it.