Best to be more discreet

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
johnthethird

Re: Best to be more discreet

Post by johnthethird » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:18 pm

Good point, low key is good beta for access sensitive areas.

But, do you think its a good idea to post those same pictures all over social media for everyone to see?

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:37 pm

IF you dont care then you dont care, otherwise tell them to get off the tracks in person. Your pics dont really do anyone any good at all.

slinky
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by slinky » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:19 pm

Especially when you are a high profile Arc"teryx athlete with entourage, which this group is. This is the kind of thing that has repeatedly lead to aggressive enforcement of the Lower Malamute closure in the past. Shame.

https://instagram.com/jessehuey/?hl=en

wanderlusted
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by wanderlusted » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:21 pm

I think public shaming is a great way to call out poor behaviour. At least you are doing something about it and spreading awareness.

As a small community, self-enforcement is one of the ways to keep people in check.

natsdad

Post by natsdad » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:18 am

wanderlusted wrote: As a small community, self-enforcement is one of the ways to keep people in check.
I agree. I too love Crescent Crack (and other routes at the lower M@L@mootE) but sitting on and belaying on the tracks? That shows a lack of common sense and threatens all of our community's access to this resource.

Steve

Jessehuey

Post by Jessehuey » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:46 pm

I want to offer everyone here on this forum - and all of those that love
Squamish climbing - my sincere apology for climbing at the Lower Malamute
the other day. I posted a picture on Instagram that quickly brought to my
attention the sensitivity around the area and its access. I grew up in
Seattle, so was familiar with the closure, but I thought it had been
lifted as of 5 years ago. Not living in this area anymore, I didn't
realize that it is still closed and is limited in its access.
I know from working with local climbing coalitions and the Access Fund how
fragile access to our cliffs can be, and I really can't apologize enough
for potentially jeopardizing that.
Hopefully everyone in the Squamish community who knows me, and knows my
long-time appreciation of Squamish, can attest to my genuine respect for
this sacred place and our access to it.

Sincerest apologies - Jesse

natsdad

Post by natsdad » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:47 am

Hi Jesse:

Thanks for your sincere apology and for taking down the photo from your instagram account.

Hi Bearbreeder and Administrator:

Now that there has been some closure to this issue, is there a way - with everyone's consent - to remove the photos in the original post, so as not to add more fuel to the fire (of those who want to restrict climber's access)?

Thanks,
Steve

marc_leclerc

Post by marc_leclerc » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:43 am

Access to Lower Malamute isn't exactly 'threatened'. It's just closed and always will be. Everyone still climbs there anyways.
Sure, keep off the tracks themselves, but taking photos from a distance and posting negative remarks against specific individuals on a public forum seems very 'high school' to me.
Say something up front, most people involved likely didn't even realize there was an issue.

davidbr
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by davidbr » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:35 am

It stretches belief to say that these people didn't know there was an issue, since railway tracks are privately owned, not just at the Malamute, but everywhere.
Having said that, climbing on private property is something we have all done. There have been cases where climbers getting caught has shut down access negotiations, and there are cases where access will never be granted anyway.
Personally, I don't even believe that land should be privately owned, but we live in a capitalist country so those are the rules we are operating under. Drawing attention to ourselves doing something illegal, either at the moment or later on social media, is more likely to increase enforcement than it is to change the system, and it makes things very difficult for those who are negotiating access on our behalf.
One of the people involved has done the honourable thing and taken responsibility. Beyond that, Bear Breeder has said what needs saying in the title of the thread.

rolfr

Post by rolfr » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:56 pm

It was exactly actions like Bearbreeder pointed out, that contributed to the closure of the lower Malamute.
Last time I climbed at the Malamute, there were obvious, No Trespassing signs on the access trails. Unless the dog knows how to rappel, I doubt anyone could have missed them.

I also disagree with the closure but criticizing the messenger is petty and ridiculous.

Leave the photos up , they speak volumes.