Fixed Binos on Waterfront Trail

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
WWPierre
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Fixed Binos on Waterfront Trail

Post by WWPierre » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:33 pm

Hello, everyone,

My name is Peter Legere, and I live on the Waterfront Trail a block south of the Brew Pub. I used to be a climber, but a plane crash in the ‘80s put a stop to that. A few years ago, I installed a set of binoculars on the trail close to my home. At that time, I also installed one of those posters you can get at Valhalla Pure delineating the climbing routes on the Chief. It didn’t take long before the photo faded, and the light wooden frame deteriorated.

I would like to replace the sign with one which will endure. I propose a large, (perhaps 4’x8’) very high definition photo on a metal substrate in a metal frame. It should take in the Squaw as well. It could even be double-sided perhaps. Every known route should be plotted. And the surface should have anti UV and anti graffiti treatment.

I can look after the technical aspects of the project, but I need someone from the climbing community to gather the data and get it transferred to the photo. Once I have the project designed, and can come up with a reasonably firm estimate of the cost, I have a good idea about who to hit up to pay the cost, and I don’t expect to be coming to the climbing community for anything more.

Please post your ideas here.
The Future ain't what it used to be.

Sunday

Re: Fixed Binos on Waterfront Trail

Post by Sunday » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:01 pm

Many thanks for installing those binoculars, I've used them many times and it's a real crowd pleaser for everyone, climber or not. I once recognized a buddy cruxing/runout on the apron so I did the only thing a friend would do.. speed texted and called him

my first thought with this one is to contact Tim tallevic and Eric Hughes publishers of the 50 classic squamish climbs.com poster and see what they can do.

Celtics1217
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Celtics1217 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:27 pm

i also would like to thank you. been scoping stuff since moving recently here. can't contribute to the climbing info, just wanted to say thanks

Squamishmonkey

Post by Squamishmonkey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:36 am

Hi WWPierre,
I can help you with this, here are a few options.
1) I will provide you the current poster free of charge for you to install, it will fade unless protected from UV
2) Have a look in the window of Valhalla Pure, they printed an extra large version on a type of metal. (It has not faded over the past two years) I can provide you the file to print a one off like this again at any dimension you like. A one off at the dimension you desire will be very expensive due to the printing costs.

If you want "every known" route plotted on it then the entire poster will become an un-readable series of red lines; almost every crack, flake and corner system has been climbed in one fashion or another over the years. I originally plotted the top 100 climbs on the poster but reduced it to 50 classics as it became too busy. (Im guessing in total you would have around 500 lines or more?) If you absolutely want every line plotted you are probably best to contact the guide book author, Kevin Mclane.

Thanks and please send me your contact details via the PM system on this site.
Regards
Eric

BK

Post by BK » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:01 pm

good idea Eric and a big thank you to Peter Legerre for all the community access and contribution over the years.

bk

WWPierre
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by WWPierre » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:20 pm

Eric and I have touched base and we have decided that the 50 climbs poster is perfect. The printing Murray hung in the VHP storefront is about the perfect size as well. I thought it was going to be a lot harder to get the artwork. Thank you Tim and Eric for your contribution.

I am in the process of raising the funds.
Last edited by WWPierre on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Future ain't what it used to be.

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:41 am

Fantastic idea Peter. Thanks for yet another contribution to your town!

K