Squamish Rampage Bouldering Comp.

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
BT123
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Re: Squamish Rampage Bouldering Comp.

Post by BT123 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:48 am

Toby is not the only concerned individual. There are several locals not in favour of this event. It seems this comp is going forward, but keep in mind that several local Squamish climbers do not approve. There is the issue with lack of space with all of the other users in the park, as well, the Petzl roctrip left a sour taste with locals after the mess they left post comp. Please stress the importance of respecting all users (climbers, hikers, etc.) in the Chief park to all of the comp participants. Out door comps are not really the Squamish way.

Good luck with it all, and please do your best to make sure you do not cause contempt.

-b

Lukedavidalden
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Lukedavidalden » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:07 am

Dear All

I find it surprising that these comments come up in a community that is so friendly and welcoming to new comers and beginner climbers. However everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Joe and Vrcg and Climb and Conquer do a lot for the climbing community in Vancouver. There has been every opportunity for people to raise these concerns (joe's personal phone number is even on webpage) however the only hint of it has been from here.
In response to the few negative responses here and their VERY valid concerns about mess and trail damage we have gone to lengths to minimize impact. We will be providing garbage bags to participants and stressing with each of them the importance of removing their rubbish and we will also be doing a run through the forest after the comp to clean up anything that was missed. We have also got SAS coming to the event so that they can help police this and raise awareness of this issue to the newer climbers.
As for parking, this was always going to be a problem, however we are again going to lengths to limit its impact. We are making the adventure centre our main parking area and suggesting that people car pool from there to the chief parking lot. We are even running a free shuttle service from the adventure centre to the chief parking lot. To entice people to use it we are offering discounts on food so are essentially paying people to use it...
We have also limited the problems (to 70) that are in the comp to keep impact down and so that there will be other problems in the forest for people who dont want to be involved. We are also NOT giving priority to people in the comp, who ever wants to climb the problem when the pads are there can.

I hope that people understand that this diatribe is not meant to dig at anyone, it is simply to explain in detail the steps we are taking. Yes, we understand that it is not perfect and we welcome any extra advice and discussion.

As a few parting comments, did people have the same problem with squamish mountain festival? or with the new Gondola?

Regards

Luke
604-868-5774

NateDoggOG

Post by NateDoggOG » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:13 am

I'm going to assume that since the organizers are local, and it's appeal seems to be mostly to local climbers, that they are going to stress the importance of cleaning up after themselves and a low impact event. (Edit: see post above)
I wasn't around for the Roctrip, hell I didn't even climb back then, let alone know that Squamish was a world class destination. But I feel it's unfair to compare that event to this one, as this is put on by climbers, for climbers, and not organized by the HR/PR department at Petzl who chances are didn't even climb.
Think of all the other events that happen in or around Squamish that can be a pain in the a$%.... Music festivals, bike races. It's one day. I'm all for letting the climbers have their fun. So maybe the parking lot will be a bit more crowded than it usually is on a weekend.
That being said, I do agree in hoping that all participants will be respectful of the park, leave no trace, and be good ambassadors of our sport. We'll see how everything looks after Sunday, and who knows - maybe they'll surprise everyone.

To answer your question Toby, no I do not have kids, although I do remember pulling that sh*t on my parents once upon a time. I don't know how it went down, but maybe the first people who were asked for approval ok'd the event without consulting their peers? Joe is a stand up guy, and I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he wouldn't go behind peoples backs just to make this happen.

@Catachresis - I don't know you, or anything about you, but you seem to have to add your 2 cents just to disparage this event. Did you happen to do any research before hitting the submit button? http://vrcg.ca/climb-and-conquer/ - Don't think that they are just using "Charity for Children" as an excuse to hold a competition. As far as the name goes, what would you prefer they call it? Squamish Charity Competition? Lacks the drive, don't you think?
Maybe you think the motivation is 'common and banal' but what would be better? If the motivation was a cash prize, would you still be speaking against it? Or would you have already registered?

joewtc

Post by joewtc » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:39 pm

:) Everybody!!! RAMPAGE is roaming around this Sunday! Anyone still looking for rides? We have 2 beta for you.

Drivers & Carpooling:

To reward drivers to generously carpool. If you pack a full car (with passengers AND gear) and take a selfie of it. Show it to Registration Team during registration. You get 1 free burger (for the driver)

Passengers looking for rides:
Please post on the event spreadsheet, the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/events/6642171 ... y&source=1, this forum and the many facebook carpooling groups.

Event parking:
PARKING AT STAWAMUS CHIEF PARKING IS SEVERELY LIMITED AND PLEASE READ this instruction!!!

Park at the gravel parking at Squamish Adventure Center 38551 Loggers Lane, Squamish. Carpool to event (5min. drive).
1. Load down all your gear at the comp./meeting location grassfield (see photo above).
2. Drive to Squamish Adventure Center (see photo below) to park your cars.
3. 2 OPTIONS:
Option 1: Carpool with other participants and pack as many people in the cars as possible.
Option 2: RECOMMENDED: Rampage Shuttle (by donation)
9am-10am shuttling from Squamish Adventure Center to Chief (comp. location)
5pm-7pm shuttling from Chief (comp. location) to Squamish Adventure Center
*Rampage Drivers Arianna, Hanna and Paul will have signs with them so you can look for them easily.

Please refrain from parking at the Stawamus Chief parking as it’s usually fully occupied by hikers already. Same applies to the Malamute parking lot (right across from the Chief parking) and Apron parking lot (the next parking lot north of Chief parking on Hwy 99).

Other Updates:
A team from Highland Sport and Spine Physiotherapy will be on site to provide all their professional physio knowledge and tips to maximize your sending power and provide first-aid. :)

Bring on your A-game and by the way, we also have an all-you-can-eat BBQ option too :) finally all you can eat in Squamish!!!

MarkR

Post by MarkR » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:26 pm

NateDoggOG wrote: Joe is a stand up guy, and I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he wouldn't go behind peoples backs just to make this happen.
I can second this. Last climber I'd expect to pull some sleazy nonsense to realize his dream.

tobyfk

Post by tobyfk » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:44 pm

NateDoggOG wrote:To answer your question Toby, no I do not have kids, although I do remember pulling that sh*t on my parents once upon a time. I don't know how it went down ....
Well I do. I am not especially into slandering people - and anyway as a simple Squamish guy I tend to assume everyone from the big city is a defamation lawyer - but I believe the analogy I gave is appropriate. Hopefully BC Parks will be less easily hussled, and there will be wider consultation, if this thing is proposed again for next year.

tobyfk

Post by tobyfk » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:47 pm

Can we discuss the poster image now: which Squamish problem is it?

BT123
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by BT123 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:05 am

Although I am not a fan of events (no, I do not support the music festival), I do appreciate the effort Joe is putting into this thing. Working out logistics with car pooling and parking and so on. I just thought that it should be known that not everyone is in favour. Best of luck.

gmcg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by gmcg » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:45 am

tobyfk wrote:
NateDoggOG wrote:To answer your question Toby, no I do not have kids, although I do remember pulling that sh*t on my parents once upon a time. I don't know how it went down ....
Well I do. I am not especially into slandering people - and anyway as a simple Squamish guy I tend to assume everyone from the big city is a defamation lawyer - but I believe the analogy I gave is appropriate. Hopefully BC Parks will be less easily hussled, and there will be wider consultation, if this thing is proposed again for next year.
You do realize Joe said he got the go-ahead from BC Parks....I doubt there was any 'hussling' going on.

NateDoggOG

Post by NateDoggOG » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:17 am

Is it possible that the first people who were consulted gave their approval without passing it by anyone else? I think it would be irresponsible for the person who was originally asked to just say go ask someone else.
Perhaps in the future, depending on the outcome here, organizers submit an event plan to the appropriate governing body (parks, SAS) where they outline the details. If there are so many people against it, they should be able to voice their concerns. Even have a meeting at the Brewpub so everyone can have a say if necessary.

joewtc

Post by joewtc » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:01 am

:) For those who don't crank V20+ Let me announce this good news: ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT Burger comp.* Top male and female winner will win a prize:
- Canada West Mountain School $250 coupon
- Mad Rock shoe coupon

*NO SHARING for all you can eat. Violaters will be banned from the comp. and with name/photo posted on the wall of shame online until Rampage 2015. You have from 9am - 6pm to showcase your stomach crankage! All-you-can-eat burger is $15.
http://www.themountainschool.com
http://www.madrockclimbing.com

Special prizes will be given to people who know what's the boulder in the Rampage poster taken by genius Joshua Roth, professional photographer. http://joshrothphoto.com/

Also, print and sign your waiver now to speed up your sign in at the event day!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2lv25 ... sp=sharing
Also remember:
- all you can eat BBQ $15
- Tank tops or t-shirts $20
HOT DOGS $4
BURGERS $5
ALL YOU CAN EAT $15 (does not include beverages)
POP, WATER, JUICE $2
ENERGY DRINKS $3
TANK TOPS & T-SHIRTS $20

ALL PROCEEDS GOING TO CLIMB AND CONQUER!
CNC is a registered charity founded by a few Vancouver climbers back in 2011, while busy with their day full-time jobs and obviously climbing, figured rock climbing is an excellent way to empower youth physically and mentally and began doing a bunch of work to provide access to those who couldn't afford it. A small, humble project for a good cause. Entirely volunteer run. The office is a laptop.
More project stories...
http://www.climbnconquer.ca/project-results/

:) If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact Joe 7789997104 gettothechopper at vrcg.ca :) hope to see you all wonderful faces in this fun community event!

tobyfk

Post by tobyfk » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:21 am

joewtc wrote::) Special prizes will be given to people who know what's the boulder in the Rampage poster
Hagakure in Index, WA was suggested on Facebook. Looks right to me: http://vimeo.com/78307337

I guess that nice flat landing is a better sell to the gym folk in Van than the heinous Squamish reality.

hevyduty

Post by hevyduty » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:17 am

Hi Joe just asking do u have a veterans cat ! I'm past the Masters !! 60+.Icompeted in the phoenix bouldering comp 4 times when i lived in the states ! it was a blast hope the comp becomes a yearly event ! Squamish is The Outdoor capitol of Canada after all.I have been talking to people all week and haven't heard a negative word from anyone ,young or old but i don't hang with to many Naysayers or Luddites .good luck with the comp see u sunday cheers hevy.

joewtc

Post by joewtc » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:28 pm

:) Thank you everybody for coming to SQUAMISH RAMPAGE! I hope you all had a fantastic time climbing, chilling with friends, eating lots of food, winning prizes, enjoying like in this beautiful weather. :) Thank you also for following the comp. rules in terms of the comp., safety, minimal environment impact, using the carpool shuttle, picking up trash, sharing pads... supporting each other, a true Squamish Climber Spirit!

A video by EpicTV & Photos will follow shortly.

Results:*
*we only count top 3 in each cat. in this comp.
MEN
Open
1st Miles Adamson**
2nd Dirk Ullie
3rd David Echeveri

**Winning problems:
The egg V11
No troublems V10
Velcro V10
Worm world cave low V10
Rookie low V9
Worm world cave V9

Intermediate
1st Corey Kelly
2nd Matthew Lamb
3rd Hosin Jo

Beginner
1st Yannick Heller
2nd Shawn Floris
3rd Sean Stephenson

Youth
Marco Sanelli

Master
1st Allan Douglas
2nd Charlie Fagan

WOMEN
Open
Sierra Allen

Intermediate
1st Natasha Segree Hacker
2nd Ranata Vantuchova
3rd Lauren Watson

Beginner
1st Yvonne Wong & Vladi Kratochvilova (tie)
2nd Erika Wynn
3rd Jennifer Wiebracht

Youth
Theresa Malassa

This event won't be possible without 2 elements:

1. Our dear Friends, Partners and Sponsors:
These guys are committed to supporting our charity Climb and Conquer and increasing the fun factors with event support and prizes.

Squamish Access Society
ARC'TERYX
Blicard Industries Inc.
Blue Ice Adventure Equipment
Canada West Mountain School
Climb Base 5 Climbing Gym
Climb On
EVOLV
Highland Sport and Spine Physiotherapy
Hive Bouldering Gym
Joshua Roth photography
La Sportiva
Mad Rock
Probar
Richmond Oval Climbing Wall
Solid Rock Climbers for Christ

2. Our team of wonderful Volunteers:
This event is entirely run by volunteers with regular day jobs, sharing the same vision: love climbing and commit to use climbing to make this world a better place. They woke up at 6am, finished cleaning up, patrolling the forest at 9pm. Every single one of them is crucial to the successful operation of this comp, managing millions tasks in multiple stations and supporting the comp. participants.

THANK YOU:
Andi M.
Arianna Senalli
Boris Lau
Daniel Bliss
Danika Gomez
Danny Martin
Hanna Fotheringham
Hun-Kyi Wynn
James Lin
Jeff Yoo
Joe Wong
Justin Chan
Justin Lee
Kartt Gopinath
Luke Alden
Paul Olynek
Paul Wiegele
Roberto Lazzari Junior
Rodrigo Janz
Salvador
Sarah Campbell and Jenna
Thomas Choo
Tiffany Picard
Tiffany Shen
Tim Emmett
Tim Klundert

We are v. happy to see everyone having so much fun. Please don't hesitate to drop a few lines to say hi and tell us what we did well and what we can do better. Thank you!

Danny, Joe & Luke, Event Organizers
gettothechopper@vrcg.ca

More info about the charity this comp. supports:
http://www.facebook.com/climbnconquer

joewtc

Post by joewtc » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:30 pm

:) Some photos of the Squamish Rampage Bouldering Comp. this past weekend. More photos and an EpicTV video to follow. Credits to all the volunteers (including Andi, pro photographer who took this batch of photos)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 545&type=1

Some media coverage from Gripped and Chief
http://gripped.com/news/rampage-boulder ... -squamish/
http://www.squamishchief.com/community/ ... -1.1331310

Thanks everyone for dropping by to say hi!