Essential Squamish beta

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
harihari

Essential Squamish beta

Post by harihari » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:24 am

Coffee. Along with alcohol one of the five essential substances central to climbing. Now, there are options in Squamish, beginning with gas-station coffee (cheap), McDonalds (24/7 and not bad) but the question remains, where is the best coffee in Squamish?

The answer: at the Adventure Center. Yes, that thing that looks like a '70s space-rock album cover has inside it a cafe, and this cafe serves what is the litmus test of coffees: espresso, where the quality of your roast, bean, pull, whatnot cannot hide behind milk, syrup and whatnot. The cafe also sells beans and for all us dirtbags who use a stovetop espresso maker (the Bialetti style) I recommend their Sumatra blend. Second place is Zephyr and way way behind is that omnipresent green-signed chain with the mermaid.

I mean you know you're in good hands when the owner's retired Pavoni-- with the rosewood handles, THAT is how much he loved the damned thing-- has place of honour on the bric-a-brac shelf.

Anyway I just had to say it, no I am not getting any $$ fromt he owner for recomending his coffee.

gmcg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Re: Essential Squamish beta

Post by gmcg » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:40 am

Was better before it was reno'd/changed. Staff were way friendlier in the past and the baked goods selection has gone way downhill. Have the prices also gone up? I don't remember. I miss the "old" days :(

MarkR

Re: Essential Squamish beta

Post by MarkR » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:00 pm

I agree with gmcg, 'twas better as a Galileo's. Coffee isn't appreciably better but now instead of free refills they're $2.00 each. Pastries are much smaller for the price, sandwiches are much more expensive and no bigger.

I used to stop there whenever I headed to the bluffs for a coffee and a little something to throw in my pack to munch on. Now I'll just endure the line at Zephyr.