Logging planned above Squaw/ Olson creek

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
BK

Logging planned above Squaw/ Olson creek

Post by BK » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:35 pm

A little heads up peeps..... Anyone familiar with the upper Olson creek zone ( Long house, Squaw trails, Tonys lookout) may be interested to know it is being laid out to log as we speak. Not visible from the valley much but front and centre in any view from two summits of the chief and the new Gondola.

It has been claimed by the local BC Timber sales office that due diligence was taken to identify competing community values but if so, they haven't weighed in too much. This may be because the decision comes out of Chilliwack, not Squamish. If it was Squamish no way in hell they'd not notice the monstrous parking problem from hikers flooding the Chief, or be totally unaware of the sea change caused by the new gondola.

At any rate, most cut blocks these guys OK don't cause conflict or compromise values so close to town, but these ones most certainly do. Their error in public consultation needs correcting. If you agree you all can do your part by voicing your displeasure and opposition with the Chilliwack office of BC Timber Sales

Forests.ChinookTimberSalesOffice@gov.bc.ca

The proposed cut blocks are SW 103 and SW 144, located in the upper Olson Creek. They are just getting cruised now and the next move is to put them out to tender so we need to get on it now. FOSC and CAS are aware and I understand are organizing something but all voices are needed i'd say. No need yet for anything impolite but assertive would be good.

LateralMovements

Re: Logging planned above Squaw/ Olson creek

Post by LateralMovements » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:56 am

I was up there on Sunday and was surprised by the flagging and surveying...at first I thought it was maybe just a student flagging team but this explains it!!!

Thats a huge noticeable block of land to cut down Especially when you pair it with the cut block just east of it, I hope something gets better resolved as this is a great area I like to use to get away from the crowds....Plus the connector Squaw/Third Peak trail that meets with the S2S makes for great long loops trips using either the S2S or the Gondola for access.

Thanks for the info!!!

natsdad

Post by natsdad » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks very much, BK and LateralMovements:

One of the arguments made in favor of the Gondola, by its’ proponents (and some prominent climbers) was that the advent of the Gondola would prevent any further logging in the areas above the Chief.

This would seem to be a good opportunity for them to act on their words.

Steve

Mike Teschke

Post by Mike Teschke » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:11 am

I sent an email to the address that Bruce posted, and as a little proof that someone actually reads concerned emails that you send... copied below is a response that i received from the BCTF:

"Dear Mike Teschke:

Thank you for your email of June 18, 2014, regarding BC Timber Sales (BCTS) Proposed Development in Olsen Creek Drainage - Block SW144 and expressing your concerns. I agree with you and understand the importance of this area for the rock climbing community. On January 7, 2014, BCTS Operating Plan #14 for Squamish Forest District which include block SW144 was information shared with First Nations and stakeholders which include local governments (Municipalities and SLRD), licensees, Recreation Sites and Trails staff, Sea-to Sky Gondola, Squamish Off-Road Cycling Association (SORCA), and Squamish Dirt Bike Association (SDBA). BCTS and the representatives of the Canadian Access Society (CAS) and the Squamish Access Society (SAS) met on June 23, 2014 to discuss options to manage trails and reduce visual impact in the area of SW144 (block SW103 is part of revised shape of block SW144).

BCTS committed that staff will explore options to mitigate the impacts on trails and visuals and present layout options to CAS and SAS at a meeting in mid July. When the final shape of the block is determined, BCTS will work with SAS and CAS to establish safety requirements for timing of operations in the block and on the access roads to the block and appropriate signage warning of operations on roads and in the block. BCTS will not proceed with the sale of this block until at least February 2015. Once the block is harvested, it will be promptly reforested. We will plant a combination of Douglas-fir and western red cedar seedlings. The standing western hemlock trees along the block boundary and within the retention patches will provide seed for natural regeneration as well.

It is important for all us to address all concerns or comments in a coordinated fashion, we have requested SAS to keep other members of the climbing community informed that CAS and SAS are engaged in discussion with BCTS regarding proposed development of Block 144 in Olsen Creek Drainage.

If you have any questions regarding this development or any other BCTS works, please contact me at..."

I cut the contact details off the end of the message, if anyone wants to specifically contact the Planning Forrester who sent me this, PM me and I'll pass that along.

Cheers

natsdad

Post by natsdad » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:22 pm

Mike Teschke wrote: BCTS and the representatives of the Canadian Access Society (CAS) and the Squamish Access Society (SAS) met on June 23, 2014 to discuss options to manage trails and reduce visual impact in the area of SW144 (block SW103 is part of revised shape of block SW144).

Cheers
Can anyone from the CASBC and/or SAS post up about these discussions? There is currently no mention on the websites of these organizations.

Thanks,
Steve

PCooper
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by PCooper » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:50 pm

Yes, it's definitely an issue worth addressing. I'm not sure people realize the impact the currently surveyed area will have on them or there would be more chatter on this forum. The logging could extend to the top of Slahany (Squaw) and will destroy the backside trails that head toward the Chief. It will be visible from the 3rd Peak and Gondola Line and quite possibly Valleycliff and the highway if the logging goes ahead as flagged. The Longhouse and Tonys Lookout are included in the surveyed area.

JSmith

Post by JSmith » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:48 am

I can speak for the Squamish Access Society on this matter.

First of all there was clearly a failure to contact stakeholders by BCTS when they did the "public consultation phase" at the beginning of the year. No climbing or hiking groups were contacted at that time. SAS first found out that something was up a few weeks ago when the flagging tape was noticed. Any effort to meet with these groups has been last minute, and after the project has been approved.

SAS and CASBC met with representatives from BCTS on June 23 to try and get some info on the proposed cut block. The long and the short of it is that BCTS says that most of this area will be logged next spring barring directives from above. BCTS has offered slight concessions like providing a treed buffer for some of the affected trails, and possibly removing more material from areas away from recreational assets and less from close by.

CASBC and SAS will meet BCTS again this month to see what these concessions actually amount to.

The Longhouse and the Catalin Wall are just outside of the block. Winter Heat and possibly the top of some parts of the Slahanie seem to be climbing areas directly in the block.

The "Visual Quality Objectives" were determined from the highway.

Unfortunately I've been sick the last week and didn't get around to posting this info on the SAS site yet. We will be looking for member input on how the community would like us to proceed.

BK

Post by BK » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:06 pm

thanks for your time on it Jeremy ( and Peter too I think?)

Our MLA Jordan Sturdy was present at the opening day ceremony of the Gondola. Clearly, by his atendance he is indicating his support for the recent Gondola / Squamish Chief centered eco tourism inititive. Perhaps it is all image and no substance, but if it is substance I think a little prod in his direction wouldn't hurt. Is that what they are hinting at about "Word from above"?

Squamish council needs to make an opinion on this as well. One way or another, some re-evaluation needs doing.

natsdad

Post by natsdad » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:24 pm

Thanks BK and Jeremy:

I emailed the local planner for the Ministry of Forests (thanks, Mike T.) and received a nearly identical response to the one Mike posted higher up (claiming that they are involving groups like the SAS and are doing everything possible to mitigate impacts, etc.).

I cc'd MLA Sturdy, Mayor and council of Squamish and S2S Gondola. Hopefully if enough politicians hear enough objections, the decision will be reconsidered. But it kind of sounds like another done deal.

Steve

PCooper
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by PCooper » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:21 pm

The response I and others have received was a carbon copy too. I also suggest emailing the Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations, Steve Thomson. Email: FLNR.Minister@gov.bc.ca

If we, as a community, can raise enough awareness and let the government know we oppose these plans then we can make a difference. If we do not, then we have no one else to blame but ourselves. So, I ask these questions….
Why do you climb? Is climbing only about movement and the physical/mental challenge of ascending a piece of rock? Are you only interested in being able to access a climb? (If yes, then you won't mind walking through cut-block to get to your crag).…...Or, do the surroundings influence your climbing experience? Do you use the network of trails in the area and take in views at the top of the pitch? Do you hike or run the trails on rest days? If so, I urge you to share the links below and start writing.

This is not just a local appeal. For those that visit Squamish and want to continue to enjoy the trails and view points please write also. The area where the logging is planned will impact your experience. As a tourist, your opinion is valuable as Squamish is promoting itself as tourist destination.

The areas in red are rough projections of the areas surveyed for logging.

Tony's Lookout - What a special view of the chief and sound:) The new Gondola line looks up the valley toward this lookout which is in the middle of the surveyed area to be logged.

For more info.
http://globalnews.ca/video/1433696/squa ... g-concerns
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... f01a6418dc

I hope you find the time to write. :)

natsdad

Post by natsdad » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:41 pm

Hi:

I just emailed all the Ministry of Forests folks. No response yet. Anyone else sending out objections?

Steve

slhughes

Post by slhughes » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:41 pm

i emailed all the above and suggest every single user of this forum to do the same

johnthethird

Post by johnthethird » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:22 pm

Ive emailed, and received a generic response.

PCooper
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by PCooper » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:45 pm

I would like to post a BC Timber Sales business area Map but it is obviously a little too complicated for me :? The map is different from the one posted on the SAS Facebook page. (I have added the BCTS area map in the comments on the SAS post) The new map is more in line with how it presents in the field. BCTS says it is not final …however… it seems they are pretty keen. There is some interesting information regarding not only the back of the Chief/Slahany area but also the front - I believe there is good bouldering in there but I am more inclined to tie in so don't know exactly. The bouldering crowd may like to take a closer look at MA109. Now.. if someone can tell me how to post it... :D

BK

Post by BK » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:59 pm

If MA 109 is for real, I'd say the whole of Valeycliffe may want to raise a little hell....