Wasp nest and sketchy tree at the Squawlharny

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
brownie
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Wasp nest and sketchy tree at the Squawlharny

Post by brownie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:38 pm

So for starters on the approach trail just as the base of the cliff comes into view and the trail switchbacks left at a short moss covered slab wall there is a nasty wasp nest under a rock on the trail.. I only saw a few on my way up but on the way down as I jogged the trail I foud myself in the midst of a cloud of wasps and was forced to commit to a hurryed escape through the bushes..

Secondly, as I walked from the summit down to the rock chasm where there is a fixed line I noticed a large old tree with a pile of sawdust at the base. I inspected left right up and down and saw no evidence of a saw being used.. I assume termites are the culprit and have been happily munching away at the base for a little while, as the tree is dead the added abuse of the termites may degrade it's stability.

Please be aware of these objective hazards..

Enjoy!

hans

Re: Wasp nest and sketchy tree at the Squawlharny

Post by hans » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:42 pm

The wasps on the trail are definitely angry.

relic

Post by relic » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Wasps seem to be nesting in the ground all over the North Walls area. I've been stung twice in two consecutive weeks. First one was at Tyler's Cave in the Burial Grounds next to the Clean boulders. The second sting was on the trail to the Darkside boulders.

I haven't been stung at all in my years around here until now. I wonder what is up with these little buggers.

tendollarpants
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by tendollarpants » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:05 pm

I got zapped 2x on the way in to Keith's hut & once again on the way back to the car. Angry little buggers they are.

Anyone have any tips on how to spot 'em before you get stung? Maybe they just have a hate-on for smelly-a$$ climbers?

Drew

Post by Drew » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:52 pm

Watch the ground and if you see them flying around an area of the ground, don't step there.

An even better method is to walk about 40 feet behind another guy and if you see him start to dance and curse, avoid the area he just walked over

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:27 am

My partner and I got stung a bunch of times a few weeks ago after climbing Parallel Passages and descending via the Squaw trail (wasps were just downhill from where the trail splits and heads towards Squamishness/Squampton/White Feather area). They were black and very angry.

And yesterday while climbing Photophobia we were being swarmed by bees on every pitch. I could barely keep still. Every 3 seconds or so I was dancing trying to get them off my legs and feet!? LOL. I kept thinking how much I like honey but not getting stung.

c-plus

Post by c-plus » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:38 pm

Frimer and I were warned about this nest before starting up the trail by a couple of hikers that got swarmed by the offending wasps. little black buggers. anyways we gingerly made our way up the trail and managed to spot the hive before we stepped on it.

we put a couple paper warnings on the trail a couple feet before the hive so hopefully everyone will see 'em...