Falcon Closure Update

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Peter

Falcon Closure Update

Post by Peter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:45 am

Peregrine Falcon Nesting Update – June 13, 2013
With the help of volunteers, BC Parks has been monitoring falcon activity at the Chief since March to determine if and where falcons are nesting. A pair of falcons continues to be sighted on and around the Chief suggesting that nesting is occurring, but the nest site has not been located. Monitoring of nest sites used in previous years appears to indicate that the nest is likely not on the Dihedrals or the main face of the Grand Wall, but may be located further north than usual, possibly around the north edge of the Grand Wall near the Apron.
If you encounter a falcon please respect them and keep your distance. Please report falcon sightings to BC Parks at 604-924-2228 or email Joanna.Hirner@gov.bc.ca; after June 21 please contact 604-898-3678 ext.2235 or Katy.Chambers@gov.bc.ca. If climbing route closures are required to protect a nest site, these closures will be posted at trailheads and on the BC Parks website. Thank you!

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Falcon Closure Update

Post by squamish climber » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:44 pm

BC Parks has now issued a Falcon Closure on the Chief. The falcon has been located near the Sherriff's Badge.

The following climbs on the Badge are closed until July 31st, unless otherwise posted
Borderline, above 2nd pitch
A Fine Line
Blazing Saddles
Hot Rod

The following climbs on the Badge are open:
Astronomy
Borderline pitches 1 & 2
The Daily Planet

Katy Chambers area supervisor for Parks BC notes, "it's an interesting location as we have not known them to nest around the Sherriff's Badge before.
Photo submitted by BC Parks:

Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

t-bone

Post by t-bone » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:53 pm

I climbed Borderline today (not knowing about the closure) and did in fact see a Peregrine. I was atop the 2nd pitch and saw one fly in at about my elevation and land on the Terrace (just to the right of the Daily Planet start). The falcon stayed there for at least a few minutes until I climbed off. I am unsure if it was nesting on the Terrace - to be honest I wouldn't know what to look for in a nest.

We climbed all 6 pitches of Borderline and up into Angels Crest - we didn't see any other trace of the falcon(s).

I"m sure this will be done shortly, but if it hasn't I'd suggest flagging the approach trail to alert climbers of the closure...

I'm certainly not an expert but if the falcons are hanging out on the Terrace it might not be a good idea to even climb the first two pitches of Borderline.

tsouth

Post by tsouth » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Hey all,
I was the one that sent in the pictures and report of the falcons to Katy. I did Borderline last Sunday and the juvenilles were nesting to the right of the second 10d pitch, pitch 6. There was three juveniles there making quite a racket especially when we tried to talk. Made finding out if you were on belay or when your partner was climbing interesting. The birds were nested about 10 meters to the right on the last belay before you go on the adventure to meet up with Angel's Crest.
Cheers,
Ty

slopr

Post by slopr » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Maybe angel's crest should be closed too.

BlahMatt

Post by BlahMatt » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:19 am

Could someone who is in Squamish post this on the Sheriff's Badge trail head sign? It may be worthwhile as people aren't used to watching for falcon closures on the badge. Please, post here if you do this, otherwise I'll take care of it in about 2 weeks when I'm up there.

Cheers,

-Matt

johnthethird

Post by johnthethird » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:39 pm

It seems blazing saddles and Hot rod are open, as per facespace updates from CASBC and squamish access society.

Borderline above P2 is still closed

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Johnthethird has it right. An update from BC Parks states that Blazing Saddles and Hot Rod are open.
Dave Jones - site admin

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:03 am

The falcon climbing closure has been lifted (July 18/13). An email update from parks area supervisor, Katy Chambers notes that " Climbers appear to be our best source of knowledge when it comes to determining the nest location. This will be more critical next year as our area of monitoring increases now knowing they nest in areas outside the Dihedrals. Thanks to everyone who passes on information about them year to year and for your continued cooperation.

Katy also asked that climbers keep their distance if they encounter a falcon on the Sheriff's Badge.

And if anyone is climbing Borderline and has an interest in gathering more information about the nest site for BC Parks, please contact Joanna.Hirner@gov.bc.ca or Katy.Chambers@gov.bc.ca prior to climbing.
Dave Jones - site admin