Mike, Relic and Luke's California adv in words and pics

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mike, Relic and Luke's California adv in words and pics

Post by squamish climber » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:21 am

Mike aka Lurch, aka Big Mike is back from Yosemite and an East-side road trip. A group of them went including Relic, Luke and Aislinn. Mike started a great thread on Supertopo:Going back to Cali that included the pre-trip psyche and ongoing live updates.

I regret not posting a link to this earlier because it was highly entertaining and slightly addictive as other people kept on adding route suggestions and eating places and riffing off Mike's posts. There's a lot in this thread - great photos, short vignettes and a rescue on El Cap. It's still a great read even after the trip is done and over.

Mike I have some appreciation of the time and effort it takes to blog/post live as I tried doing it during the Squamish Mountain Festival. It takes time editing and uploading photos and then tie it all together in some coherent prose, all at time when you want to drink some beer or hit the sack. You did good man. This to me is the future of adventure writing, keep it up.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

Lurch

Re: Mike, Relic and Luke's California adv in words and pics

Post by Lurch » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:15 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the note, truth is I just started the thread to get some beta and it turned into a live trip report! When I decided to buy the Iphone for belay pics, and I realized that I could post photos from my phone everything changed.

It was really fun having the input from everyone along the way, and it yielded quite a few unique experiences that definitely wouldn't have happened otherwise. You are right. It was a lot of work. It would have been easier if we didn't have to go to currie village for wi-fi, but we hung out there and had beers and pizza so it was a pretty cool place to hang.

Hats off to Relic and Aislinn for putting up with my posting ways. Most nights we were at Currie for at least 3 hours while I got everything uploaded and posted.

Here's some pics for ya!

Middle Cathedral

El Capitain at sunset

Aislinn on Pine Line 5.7 El Cap

Relic on Serenity Crack p2 10d (10b)

Relic at Tenaya Lake

Tuloumne Meadows

Buttermilks Sunrise

Relic on Solarium v4 Happy's Bishop

gotta run... way more on my thread... check it out! :)

ps: Dave, I'm really sorry i haven't had time to post here lately.. I'm off work soon tho so there will be plenty of time for that...

natsdad

Post by natsdad » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:05 am

Hey Big Mike, Relic, Aislinn and Luke:

Welcome back home and thanks for the fab live thread on supertopo. Beautiful photos (as always) and great reportage. The adventure of Luke and partner (is it Doug?) on the Muir Wall was particularly gripping. I really enjoyed the second-hand thrills.

cheers,
Steve

gnarnaphobe

Post by gnarnaphobe » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:01 pm

Who's the chicky lookin at relic butt in the last pic
Imaging how much funner this could be with booze and explosives

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:26 pm

Just some random French hottie that happened to be there that day...