Climbing destinations - need recommendations

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
quantum7

Climbing destinations - need recommendations

Post by quantum7 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:12 pm

Hello all

I am looking to do a climbing trip to either a single destination, or a combination of places if logistically possible. I am open to all suggestions, but do have some considerations which is why I am seeking advice. In your experience, what places would you suggest that meet the following criteria:

- single climber friendly...a place that is easy to meet other climbers needing partners
- reasonably safe for a female solo traveller
- primarily trad, but certainly open to sport
- relatively near civilization
- can be overseas or N.America

From what I have seen on this forum we have well travelled climbers posting. I would really appreciate your help!!
Thanks

J Mace

Re: Climbing destinations - need recommendations

Post by J Mace » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:38 pm

You need to specify time of year

quantum7

Post by quantum7 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:47 pm

That would probably help! I am open to any time of year...but I prefer not to leave Squamish in the summer. So ideally Jan-May or Oct-Dec.

natsdad

Post by natsdad » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi:

For the fall, my vote would be J Tree. Unbelievable amount of climbing there (trad, bouldering, some sport), LA is not far away, camping is great. I love the weather there in November: cool and dry.

Steve

smallman

Post by smallman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:40 pm

I found El potero Chico in Mexico was awesome for your above conditions, especially meeting people. I hadn't even put up my tent before I had a climbing partner there. But I understand the security situation in the Monterrey area has deteriorated substantially since I was there in Feb 2010. Very sad really cause the locals i met there were awesome people.

You may wish to consider that an El Nino is predicted for this year which usually means wet weather for the SW US and cold, wet weather for the Southeast US and NE mexico. Australia, Indonesia, Thailand are usually droughty and on fire during El Ninos. I hear Arapiles in Aus is good to go as a single climber.

imnotnate

Post by imnotnate » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:07 am

Arapiles, Australia!!

Fish Boy

Post by Fish Boy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Mt Arapiles is the BEST crag in the world to hang out at, full stop. Doesn't matter if your are by yourself at all, just throw your stuff down in the Pines and you will begin your adventure. There are thousands of routes there, all trad. The rock is superb and the weather fantastic almost all year round.

It's my old stomping ground, if you any questions or want to look at a guidebook, let me know.

Dru

Post by Dru » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:39 pm

Would bouldering fit the bill? If so look at Castle Hill. Best spot in the world for it IMHO.

bret

Post by bret » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:37 pm

imnotnate wrote:Arapiles, Australia!!
I second that, the best climbing culture I have experienced. Don't go in their summer, its too hot. winter can be wet, but it wasn't for me. Spring and fall are best.

Lofoten Islands in Norway are an amazing setting with fantastic granite climbing and also easy to find partners. Patience for the weather is needed though.

bret

Post by bret » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Dru wrote:Would bouldering fit the bill? If so look at Castle Hill. Best spot in the world for it IMHO.
a trip to araps and other oz crags along with NZ would make for a nice vacation. and it could be as long as you make it, mine was 2.5 years :P

NZ isn't so great for trad, however castle hill is special, amazing bouldering. Decent trad destinations in NZ include mt sommers and the remarkables, i have no idea about the north island. Darran's are where it is at if alpine climbs are what your into, if so I could put you in touch with some people possibly looking for partners. NZ was also easy to find climbing partners.

But seriously you can't miss arapiles if you are in the area. camp at the pines and eat from the dumpsters in Horsham :)

harihari

Post by harihari » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:18 am

Potrero is out-- serious security issues not in Potrero per se but in areas around it-- basically there is no law, period, and if the big-timers don't f**k with you the small-timers who enjoy the absence of cops will. Araps is awesome if you have the $$ for airfare.

J-tree would top my list: you can walk to 70% of climbing, partners abound, it's girl-friendly (ie there are not scary vagrants cruising around, certain Valley dirtbags excepted ;-) ), lots of people outside the x-mas/mar break times will share campsites esp if you are camping solo, and it is easy enough to hitch rides into 29 Palms for supplies. If going to J-tree solo, buy a couple of those collapsible water bags cos Hidden Valley camground (and most others in the park proper) has no water. Tony M has spent weeks there at a time minus car and reports no problems, and I've had loads of solo dirtbags guest my sites while staying there.

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:26 am

Potrero is out-- serious security issues not in Potrero per se but in areas around it-- basically there is no law, period, and if the big-timers don't f**k with you the small-timers who enjoy the absence of cops will.
Well if you travel long enough in Mexico you know that the cops have never been the folks to trust anyways. The military however is a better bet. I saw an increased military presence last time I was there and felt safe, 2011.

Never the less there is no trad, if there was its been bolted.

quantum7

Post by quantum7 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Appreciate the advice