Rapping into south gully from the apron

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
quantum7

Rapping into south gully from the apron

Post by quantum7 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Wondering if anyone has recently rapped into the south gully from the top of calculus crack area. according to the select guide, you can do 4 x 30 m raps to descend. interested in knowing if it is sketchy at all, whether there are stations or trees on the way down. any input appreciated

hans

Re: Rapping into south gully from the apron

Post by hans » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:25 am

I haven't done it this year, but I seem to recall it being pretty straightforward. Bolted anchors, good stances, except the last one which was a bit small? It puts you just below the start of Rock On.

BlahMatt

Post by BlahMatt » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:04 am

I'm trying to think of where you would rap and I can't think of any easy way to do it. I'll have to take a look at the guide to see. 120m doesn't seem like it would be enough either.

Is there a reason not to walk off?

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:20 am

It also takes far less time than walking all the way around over the top of the Apron when you end on one of the routes over there. The reason it feels like a bit of a weird rap route is that the anchors are actually on a route that was never popular called Bad Pants Party. As a pure rap line it could probably be straightened out a bit to work better, but everyone seems to get by alright.

flinner
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by flinner » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:36 am

bearbreeder wrote: and whatever you do dont forget to untie the knots and pull the rope like one of my partners did ... i bet he did a FA of some sketchy mossy climbing using slinged shrubs as pro that night to retrieve it :mrgreen:
Ah the memories ... :oops:

Axilla
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Axilla » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:17 pm

This is good to know. Thanks for posting.

We climbed this yesterday evening and finished off just at sunset. While on the second to last pitch it really felt like it was about to start raining, and I was wondering what the best way to bail would be with out leaving too much gear behind.

The direct start was great, but man alive did I ever end up with some serious rope drag.