Alexis Cracks Wasp Nest

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
raingod
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Alexis Cracks Wasp Nest

Post by raingod » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:38 am

There is a small wasps nest forming in the diagonal crack on Alexis. I thought about cleaning it out but the wasps defended themselves somehow.
Ron

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Re: Alexis Cracks Wasp Nest

Post by Brendan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Beware there is also a small wasps nest (wasps present) on Token Brits Direct, about halfway up after the corner but below the bolts, in the face crack. It’s in a portion of the crack that a climber testing his skills would definitely want to place gear in, but a confident leader could bypass.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:15 am

I decided to climb Token Brits Direct again for some reason, and now there are TWO wasps nests. The first one (mentioned above) is in the thin face crack about 3’ below and to the right of that huge face jug which is on the left, and which is used to mantle up on that ledge then clip the bolt.
The second nest is located to the right (after you mantle onto the previous ledge and clip the first bolt) in an obvious chalked side pull jug portion in the same crack as before, and which is used as a right-hand side pull to get you up to the holds near the second bolt.

Wasps are present in both nests - I found out the hard way by disturbing both nests and getting attacked at both locations. LOL. I only imagine what I looked like to a deaf person.

jstod

Post by jstod » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Could almost use a Wasp Nest specific thread this year!

Came across one last night near the top of Partners in Climb at Penny Lane. It's probably about 12feet below the anchors. Stuck my hand in, felt something flutter against my fingers and heard a buzz, but didn't get stung. Looked like a few of those long-legged hornet thingies have got a small nest in there.

You can climb around it by using an edge on the face and avoiding the crack, but beware!

Julian

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:46 pm

Yep, those darn wasps get damn huffy when disturbed. The ones on Token Brits ran at me backwards out of the crack while buzzing their wings and showing me their stingers…then they launched a full out attack.

rockandsnowjunkie

Post by rockandsnowjunkie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:00 am

[quote="jstod"] Looked like a few of those long-legged hornet thingies have got a small nest in there.
[/quote]

Entomologists are cringing.

Love it.