wailing and whining forum

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
dakine

wailing and whining forum

Post by dakine » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:36 am

I've been a member of this forum since it was first started (04).

During that time I have seen caustic posts and moderate flame wars but over all people were here because they all shared the common ground of climbing. I've noticed a large increase of BS posting this year in particular on route development (trad mostly). While constructive criticism is always needed and feedback when it's going to accomplish something is great the amount of unnecessary bullying and outright name calling strikes me as childish.

I recognise this is the interweb and as the climbing community grows so does this forum. Personally I treat people online the same way I do in person anything I say here I would say to your face good or bad. Try to think about if what you are writing (or flaming) is going to have any value to the discussion or is it going to accomplish anything....

just my 5 cents.
DJ 1%

natsdad

Re: wailing and whining forum

Post by natsdad » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi Dakine,

I agree with you.

It stands to reason that we climbers will disagree from time to time, but let's maintain respect while voicing our opinions, please.

cheers,
Steve

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:58 pm

+1 What he said ^^^

Kris

Computer anonymity tends to bring out a side of some people they would never display face to face.

smallman

Post by smallman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:32 am

I am kind of wondering which post started this discusion.

relic

Post by relic » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:11 pm

I've been totally guilty of this lately and feel bad. Occasionally I need to be reminded not to be such an a hole online with peeps I disagree with. Internet tough guy getting mad syndrome is pretty lame. Thanks for the reminder.

hafilax

Post by hafilax » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:21 pm

I prefer flamewars and internet-tough-guyisms to nodding yesmen circle jerks.

Text always comes out harsher than words. You can say the exact same words as you write but in face to face interactions, body language and reactions go a long way to smoothing things out. IME people who get pissed off online are pretty new to online communication. Once you figure out that you don't have to respond to unreasonable claims and trust that everyone else can interpret the arguments on their own, things go much more smoothly. If the internet is making you angry, it's time to step away from the computer.

I know a few people who talk exactly like they write online and are great people IRL but come off as A$$%$#^@ online.

Why can't people hash out bolting practices online? If they haven't met face to face already they never will. This is the only place they will be able to air out these grievances.

jipstyle

Post by jipstyle » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:44 pm

hafilax wrote:I prefer flamewars and internet-tough-guyisms to nodding yesmen circle jerks.
I want to put this on a t-shirt.
I know a few people who talk exactly like they write online and are great people IRL but come off as A$$%$#^@ online.
Those are often my favorite people.
Why can't people hash out bolting practices online? If they haven't met face to face already they never will. This is the only place they will be able to air out these grievances.
Agreed.

Damn, this is starting to turn into a circlejerk. So .. umm .. you smell funny and climb poorly. Also, you misspelled Halifax.