Beginner's "What gears to get" question

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
lai1737
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Beginner's "What gears to get" question

Post by lai1737 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi Everyone,
I've been climbing for about a year but I haven't really bought any gears except for the things I need in gym and a PAS. I'm really planning on going to Squamish to climb some sports routes and I'm wondering, in order for a beginner to have some good time, what essential gears do I need?
I'm thinking:
quick draws (though I'm not sure how many)
rope (what kind? 60m or 70m?)

Anything Else?

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Beginner's "What gears to get" question

Post by squamish climber » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:59 am

I would plus 1 what Eric said there. A morning or afternoon with a guide will set you on the right path for climbing outdoors. Check out Squamish Rock Guides, Colin Moorhead there runs a great outfit, he and his guides have launched tons of new climbers into the awesome world of sport and trad climbing. Also pick up the new edition of Squamish Select Rock Climbs. The guidebook has sport climbing gear recommendations and it's the best place to find the introductory outdoor climbs that you'll want to get on first.

Good luck and I hope you don't get flamed too much here for your beginner questions.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

lai1737
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by lai1737 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks guys!

Yeah I actually have some experiences but I do agree with what you guys said.
I should probably get more experiences with a guide first then I'd worry about what to get.

jefffski

Post by jefffski » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:26 pm

It's one thing to know what you know. it's quite another to know what you don't know. The latter is a sign that you know something and may be in a position to evaluate whether your "experiences" have taught you enough not to get yourself or someone else killed.

If you don't know what you don't know, you are not ready to lead anything, rappel, or set up a top rope.

If you can belay in a gym you can quickly learn to belay and lower on TR outside.

Have fun.

BSP
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by BSP » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:03 pm

If you can afford a guide i would go for it! But when the budget is tight and you know you are a climber at soul... I would buy a couple of book like climbing anchor and climbing accident of previous year to find out what are the common mistake not to do. Buy like 8 quickdraw and a rope gear to build anchor quite handy if you want to climb trad line and you can't afford the expensive stuff. Remember if it does not look right it probably not. Have fun out there.

jefffski

Post by jefffski » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:27 pm

BSP wrote:I would buy a couple of book
Wrong :shock:

dakine

Post by dakine » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:49 pm

lai1737 wrote:Thanks guys!

Yeah I actually have some experiences but I do agree with what you guys said.
I should probably get more experiences with a guide first then I'd worry about what to get.
More and specific training is the best path for sure. I took a day course on sport climbing outside and a full two days on trad as well. It was money well spent for sure.

Sport climbing gear IMHO:

70 meter rope (there are more an more 30+ meter routes) also if you damage the rope near the end you have some room to chop it.

Auto locking belay device. Highly recommended.
ATC
Quick draws 12-20
A couple full slings and and locking bieners.
Prussic
Stick clip
DJ 1%

lai1737
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by lai1737 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:16 am

bearbreeder wrote:you can also ask around the gym ... you may find someone who's experienced, safe and willing to teach ... many sport climbers i know climb in the gym on work days

you should however be willing to re compensate with food, gas money, and beer ...

did i mention beer :mrgreen:
I definitely don't mind re compensating with any of those. I am more than happy to do it with beer, as I am also a beer lover. :oops: