Comic Rock Roadside Graffiti

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
psi4ce

Comic Rock Roadside Graffiti

Post by psi4ce » Wed May 23, 2012 5:54 pm

Over the weekend, some total dumbass spray-painted the words MORIARTY WAS REAL on the cracked roadside slab that marks the entrance to Comic Rocks, in between Furry Creek and Britannia Beach. (Somebody told me once that the crack goes at 5.2, but it would probably also make a nice beginner V0- highball boulder problem). Anyway, the perpetrator also saw fit to spray on a small smiley face as well, but I am anything but amused.

In fact, I am furious. From what I just discovered on the Internet, the words "Moriarty Was Real" is a catch-phrase for a ridiculous, knuckleheaded Internet blog/web meme created by fans of the BBC television show Sherlock. In other words, a bunch of completely useless, childish idiots with nothing better to do.

And believe me, when I say these things, I am being nice. The not-nice version is potentially something that would be moderated off this forum.

Does anyone know who did this graffiti? They should be turned in to the police. :evil: :evil: :evil:

AaronRN

Re: Comic Rock Roadside Graffiti

Post by AaronRN » Wed May 23, 2012 7:46 pm

You can take comfort that someone in a pickup truck had backed on up to the cliff side and was hard at working removing said graffiti with the use of a pressure washer early this evening. Looked like a lot of work but it would be nice to see it gone before it attracts more graffiti. So to who ever it was getting the job done, thank you for your hard work!

psi4ce

Post by psi4ce » Thu May 24, 2012 9:28 pm

Well, the person with the pressure-washer, his heart was in the right place, but his efforts were, unfortunately, ineffective. The graffiti remains.

And it looks like sh*t.

And the stupid f*ck*r responsible ought to pay for it, somehow.

Unlikely...

So, it falls on us...

Short of a sandblaster, how does one remove spray-paint graffiti from a granite slab?

smallman

Post by smallman » Fri May 25, 2012 5:54 am

Blame the cult of Banksy for this explosion of shitty graffitti.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Sat May 26, 2012 5:54 pm

It was fine when it said "Husqvarna" :o

psi4ce

Post by psi4ce » Sat May 26, 2012 7:11 pm

No, seriously, what do I do? Take a wire brush to it? Or do you need chemicals as well? I don't want to be looking at that crap every day when I drive by...

dakine

Post by dakine » Sat May 26, 2012 8:25 pm

the best stuff for getting rid of Graffiti it this : http://www.taginator.com rubber gloves and a wire brush.
Used it on concrete and brick with good results.
DJ 1%

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Sun May 27, 2012 6:01 am

Talk to Anders Ourom. He has tackled most of the graffiti around the bluffs, boulders and backside trail with various chemical agents and has found decent success with certain products and lots of elbow grease. Thanks for taking the initiative to remove it right away, whoever that was.

I would also like to see anyone caught doing that kind of sh*t drawn and quartered.

Kris

psi4ce

Post by psi4ce » Sun May 27, 2012 5:27 pm

My climbing plans suddenly fell through this morning.

So, I decided to put my wire brush where my mouth is and go down and have a bit of an attempt at scrubbing off the spray paint.

Drove down to Comic Rocks from Squamish. When I got there, the first thing that happened was I noticed an entire family peeing in the ditch.

The second thing I noticed is that someone entirely covered over the graffiti with grey paint.

So much for trying to restore the rock. The graffiti has defeated me.

I give up.

crazymonkey

Post by crazymonkey » Mon May 28, 2012 6:58 pm

My guess when I saw the grey paint was that someone was just trying to camouflage the yellow lettering. I guess the paint store was out of "Squamish Granite Grey" and made do with the next best thing. I'll volunteer some wirebrush elbow grease if I have a day off this week.

psi4ce

Post by psi4ce » Tue May 29, 2012 7:48 am

It's massive, more so than it looks in the photo or from the highway. I'd estimate 2 to 3 square metres.

When I saw it I abandoned all hope of scrubbing it clean.

Special weapons and tactics might work, or a concerted group effort...