grand wall cooking

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
kristina
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

grand wall cooking

Post by kristina » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:02 pm

hey everyone

my bf and i will be flying in from ontario in august (hopefully bringing some of the heat and sunshine with us) and staying at the chief campground for two weeks. the plan is to dirtbag it this time around, and live just with what we can fly over in our backpacks. shouldn't be too hard- i spent a summer in whistler so i know that hitch hiking's pretty much the other form of public transportation and if that fails, the town grocery store isn't an impossibly long walk away... but- aside from the pasta we'll be cooking on our little camp stove, i'm looking for ideas on how to prepare food (ie, meat) at the chief? i mean, we can't have a fire and we can't stuff a coleman grill into our backpacks... any tips?

another matt
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Re: grand wall cooking

Post by another matt » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:21 am

I like to class is up and buy some canned chicken (tuna/salmon works too) and mix it in with a bag of sidekick instant rice. You can cook that in one pot over a camp stove no problem. As a bonus, you should have no trouble covering your sodium intake. Enjoy the visit.

NateDoggOG

Post by NateDoggOG » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:34 pm

Whereaboots in Ontario?
Hail from Peterborough.

kristina
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by kristina » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:02 pm

lol other matt. thanks for the canned meat + insta rice beta. mmmm mmmmm :? guess dirtbags can't be choosers.

and natedogg, we'll be flying in from the nation's capital- we're regulars at coyote rock gym, though my bouldering addiction should be traced back to boulderz in toronto.

Chris155
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Chris155 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:54 pm

Not exactly walking distance but London Drugs in the Highlands has Prepped Indian curries boxed in bags that you heat up in boiling water..Hands down best quick fix with quick rice, restaurant flavor flave..On the Cheap and seems friendly for those in close proximity :mrgreen: .. ( unlike other quick fixes

jipstyle

Post by jipstyle » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:25 pm

Protip: the water is still very cold. If you're cunning, you can find ways to keep your food well refrigerated. This means that you can keep eggs, bacon, etc., for a couple of days even during a Squamish summer.

NateDoggOG

Post by NateDoggOG » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:20 pm

jipstyle wrote: ....during a Squamish summer.
And summer hasn't even really started yet, so no worries there :wink:

jipstyle

Post by jipstyle » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:43 am

NateDoggOG wrote:
jipstyle wrote: ....during a Squamish summer.
And summer hasn't even really started yet, so no worries there :wink:
Heh .. fair point. :)