New Trail and Crag Restoration in Smoke Bluffs

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Trail and Crag Restoration in Smoke Bluffs

Post by squamish climber » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:37 pm

The steady pace of trail and crag improvements continues at Smoke Bluffs. I was talking with Brian Moorhead, chair of the Smoke Bluffs Park Committee and he told me the new section of trail from Crag X to Lumberland and onto the Loop Trail is almost complete.

This will shave a good chunk of time getting to the top tier climbs in the Bluffs like Octopus Gardens, Split Beaver, One Toque Wall and Lumberland. Speaking of which Squamish local Alan Stevenson and others are undertaking a restoration of Lumberland climbs and are opening up an adjoinning crag. I climbed here a couple of years ago. It's a great crag, cool in the summer and higher than most climbs in the Bluffs.

As well, Harry Young a long-time route contributor is restoring some neglected climbs at Octopus Gardens.

I'm sure these guys would appreciate a hand. Get in touch with them if you want to do something productive outdoors for your climbing community.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:08 am

Putting up steel railings on "climbers access" trails is productive? its a F%$#$&^ eye sore.

The trail was fine and has been for decades.

what a waste of time, I hope someone chops it

Optimally-Primed

Post by Optimally-Primed » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:03 am

Might get a visit from the RCMP if you do.

al pine
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by al pine » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:29 pm

J Mace wrote:Putting up steel railings on "climbers access" trails is productive? its a F%$#$&^ eye sore.

The trail was fine and has been for decades.

what a waste of time, I hope someone chops it
Step off your high horse JM...times are changing as is the smoke bluffs park. Don't grumble on forums with threatened actions. If you object, go to the SBC public meetings and get involved Otherwise, just don't grab (or clip) the steel railings on your next hike.

pbeckham

Post by pbeckham » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:35 am

The "steel railing" commentary is interesting.
Is this rail intended for the section I refer to as the "Pixie Corner Bypass"?
If so, I support this idea as I think it's a pretty exposed section for "mom and the kids".
As many forum members are aware I've been passionately involved in the creation and care of the Smoke Bluff park since the blasting at Geritol wall in 86.
One of the coolest things about the park is that it's not just a "climber's park" accessed with only "climber's access trails" but an increasingly popular park for people from all walks of life.
I've put hundreds of hours into trail work in the park with the "Octopus Bypass" and "Octopus/Skunk Hollow/FM Tower Connector" being some of my more rewarding efforts. Thanks to the efforts of many and the support of the SBAC, the main "Loop Trail" is a proud work in progress.
It's great to see all the non climbing public out there enjoying the park via these trails as they become staunch advocates for the value and protection of the Smoke Bluffs.

J Mace, the trail has not been fine for decades and your comments are odious at best.

Perry Beckham

bradley3297

Post by bradley3297 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:41 pm

I can see the railings from the highway. maybe they should be a less obvious colour. between yellow railings and bughouse heights bleaching the bluffs are looking shotty from the highway. But i dont think the railings should be removed.
Bradley

BK

Post by BK » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:40 am

I can't comment on the aesthetics of the rail having never seen it but one things for sure, if a railing is needed, you might as well build it to last so it may as well be steel.

It should be remembered that not long ago much of the smoke bluffs was destined for housing development, quarrying and a horse paddock. The blue collar Council was sold a story of the alternative and the rest is history. Its taken twenty odd years but finally the smoke bluffs is evolved into a true civic public amenity. Hats off to the drivers. As a climber I don't need the double wide trails either but it isn't just for us climbers.

naughty jmace - no donnut for you

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:02 am

Ya you guys are right, sorry for making fun of the railing. I should have looked at the functionality not at the eye sore that it is.

I agree, the bluffs are full of really dangerous spots for mom and kids.

Look at the US its a perfect system and their parks are so pristine, I just love it down there. Its like natural but fixed.

Just let me when the day use fee goes in

pbeckham

Post by pbeckham » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Re the railings.
Guess they're not where I thought they might be.
Talked to Brian Moorehead and apparently the railing is over towards Crag X.
I haven't seen it yet but it sounds like it's a fairly bright yellow and quite visible from afar. I think that's unfortunate and don't understand the bright color choice as there would be no harm in something a bit more low key.
Given that the trail probably draws a lot of non climbing hikers, it might be a good precaution, or maybe not.
I think we'd all be better served by maintaining civil discourse and voicing our concerns through the proper channels rather than indulging in sarcasm.
JMace, your comments are still odious and characteristic of the kind of infantile commentary that besmirches that other forum.

PB

Optimally-Primed

Post by Optimally-Primed » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:45 pm

My understanding is that the railing is made of cedar, which is yellow when freshly cut but weathers to a browny grey. Any thoughts on whether the yellow railing can be tolerated for the time it takes to fade into the background?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Submitted for your approval, I give you exhibit A.

Personally I think the quality of the workmanship is in keeping with the rest of the work being done in the bluffs, that being top notch. Black posts with cedar wood. In a short while the wood will fade to gray and any aesthetic concerns will be nil.
WTF?

pbeckham

Post by pbeckham » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Thanks for posting the photo Aaron.
Looks like the usual top notch work by JH and company.
The wood should fade nicely by season's end.
Maybe someone needs a whaaaambulance.

Anders Ourom

Post by Anders Ourom » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:54 pm

I wonder if it would make a good belay anchor?

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:43 am

I think we'd all be better served by maintaining civil discourse and voicing our concerns through the proper channels rather than indulging in sarcasm.
JMace, your comments are still odious and characteristic of the kind of infantile commentary that besmirches that other forum.
Yes you are correct. I will voice my concern through the proper channels, was just taken a little aback by such manicuring. There seems to be a whole lot of chief summit that is a lot more exposed and sees a whole lot more tourists then the climbers access trail to black zawn.

I would hate to see the park trend too to far down the path of "fixing" everything.

Cheers

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:57 am

J Mace,

You know the old saying..."if it ain't broke, fix it" :P