The amazing disappearing-reappearing hangers!

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
Aaron

The amazing disappearing-reappearing hangers!

Post by Aaron » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:31 pm

Went for a short walk today in the bluff to take stalk in the Barely un-bolting situation. To my surprised and delight one route at Ronin's Corner known as "Sammy's Frog 5.10" an enjoyable well protected face route found to the right of MCM has had its hangers returned to it. On Sunday there were gone, but today, Wednesday they had returned. Yay!

No others previously stripped routes have had there hangers reappear as far as I know, but to who ever's responsible thank you.

On a related note. I'm looking for were I buy stainless steel 3/8 nuts and washers. Not the bolts, just the nuts and washers. Went to MEC and picked up a fist full of anchors, nuts and bolts. To my dismay some puts had gone and did the ol' switcharoo with the hardware slipping in cheep zinc nuts, pinching the stainless and leaving we with the junk.

Aaron Kristiansen
WTF?

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:37 pm

The most cost effective place to get no-frills stainless steel washers and nuts would be an industrial fasteners supply business such as Fastenal. You can buy stuff like that from places like Home hardware or Home Depot, but expect to pay 3 to 5 times as much per unit. Be aware though, you may need to purchase a minimum of one box of 50 or 100 at a place like Fastenal.

You'll be asking for stainless 3/8" washers, and stainless 3/8" UNC nuts (imperial thread, coarse). If you can afford it, buy a box of Nylock nuts (nylon lock). They have the little plastic ring inside the end that keeps them from loosening off if they get spun a bit.

Kris

staven

Post by staven » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:01 pm

There used to be a Fastenal in Squamish behind Triton Steel, but I think it closed down. Triton may also have what you need, but likely in a box of 50 or 100. I agree, nylock nuts are the best.

Thanks for getting out there and doing something. Actions do speak louder than words, and hangers aren't going to get replaced by yelling on the internet.

I suppose we'll find out what happens when the hardware reappears again. Hopefully cooler heads prevail and everyone realizes the benefit to the community, and the gratefulness for Robin's efforts from climbers from all over the world.

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:02 am

Yeah the Fastenal here is gone, but Triton does stock just about everything you could possibly need. They will sell any quantity, but the price drops exponentially once you hit box quantities. You'll also get a better price by looking like a welder or mechanic, instead of an Arcteryx-clad climber.

Kris

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:13 am

scrubber wrote: You'll also get a better price by looking like a welder or mechanic.

Kris
So arrive drunk and angry. Done and done.
WTF?

al pine
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by al pine » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:36 am

Aaron,

Are the re-appearing hangers spray painted black? If so, props to RB putting them back up.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:11 pm

al pine wrote:Aaron,

Are the re-appearing hangers spray painted black? If so, props to RB putting them back up.
No, they're new shiny Fixe hangers.
WTF?