Squamish Santa Claus $1/Climb Dec Challenge.

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
joewtc

Squamish Santa Claus $1/Climb Dec Challenge.

Post by joewtc » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:36 pm

It's that time of the year again... Squamish Santa and the Vancouver Rock Climbing Group is back to support the Climbers Access Society of BChttp://www.access-society.ca/about!

Everybody loves receiving gifts and giving itself is the best gift on earth!
Are you ready to be Squamish Santa Claus and take up the Ultimate Climbing Challenge while raising awareness and fund for the future of outdoor rock climbing?

How it works
You climb and for each climb or boulder you top, you raise $1 by asking your friends to sponsor you - or you can sponsor yourself! Grades or falls don’t matter!
All donations will go to the Climbers Access Society of BC.

Locations & Dates
- Sat. Dec. 11 (5:00 pm - 9:30 pm) at Cliffhanger Vancouver, 670 Industrial Ave.
- Sat. Dec. 18 (5:00 pm - 9:30 pm) at Cliffhanger Coquitlam, 98 Brigantine Dr.
You can sign up at: http://www.meetup.com/climbing/calendar/15556810/

Challenge Categories CH VAN CH COQ
The Squaw 160m: 14 laps* 12 laps*
The Chief 417m: 35 laps* 31 laps*
Lotus Flower Tower, NWT, CAN 762m: 64 laps* 56 laps*
El Capitan, Yosemite 910m: 76 laps* 67 laps*
Mount Asgard, Baffin Island, 1200m: 100 laps* 88 laps*
Trango Tower, Pakistan 1755m: 147 laps* 129 laps*
Mount Odin, Baffin Island 2147m: 179 laps* 157 laps*

*Calculation are based approximately on the 12m walls in CH Vancouver and the 14m walls in CH Coquitlam.

How you can help
If you can’t climb, you can still help! We will need sponsors, belayers, organizers, promoters and donation collectors. Assistant Organizers will be there coordinating everyone and making sure that everyone is safe and having fun!

How to donate
During the fundraising events, donations can be in cash or cheque (tax receipts are available for donations of $10 or more). You can also donate via electronic payment to the CASBC website (let us know how much you donate, so we can keep track of all the funds raised).
You can donate until December 25. Results will be posted on Boxing Day on our website.
Donations of more than $100 will receive a free subscription to Gripped.

We thank Cliffhanger Climbing Gyms and MEC for their support to this fundraiser.

Contacts:
Joe
, Organizer joewtc@hotmail.com 778.999.7104

What is the VRCG?
We LOVE TO CLIMB A LOT, ALL THE TIME, less talking, MORE CLIMBING. Our group is dedicated to help you find climbing/training/trip partners, introduce climbing to prospective climbers, and creating a platform of skills/experience sharing, mutual help, kindness, thankfulness, having fun and spreading happiness.

Our Commitment to Community Involvement:
At the same time, we are a group of very grateful people and we are committed to community projects for important causes. Because, once upon a time, someone introduced us to climbing and our lives have since gone into a completely different, indescribably awesome dimension and adventure of the lifetime.

What’s the Climbers Access Society of BC?
ACCESS represents us all, the outdoor climbing community in managing and conversing the cliffs and mountains since 1995.
Examples of projects completed:
- Stawamus Chief – Opposing tourist gondola to second summit (2004).
- Smoke Bluffs – Parking lot construction (1996).
- Skaha - Okanagan Land & Resource Management Plan, resulting in recommendation of park status (1995 - 2000).

BlahMatt

Post by BlahMatt » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:24 pm

Great initiative, Joe. I'll be there on the 18th climbing and raising fund to keep our climbs accessible!

joewtc

Post by joewtc » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:18 am

Thank you YOU!!! We are at $950 with 23+ change-makers!!!

joewtc

Post by joewtc » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:47 am

THANK YOU!!! Santa Climbing Fundraising Challenge is now at $1060 and 25+ Santa Claus'!!! Remember all the money will go to Climbers Access Society of BC. You are contributing directly to the future of rock climbing and will enjoy it yourself during the coming outdoor climbing season : ) We still need more climbers and belayers. Donation is optional. Come climb, have fun, spread the awesome spirit and support this and next Sat!

Anders Ourom

Post by Anders Ourom » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:38 pm

Can I enter in the "Eleven Bolt Rock" or perhaps the "Rurp Riot" category?

ps The cliff northeast of the Chief is now known as Slhanay.

joewtc

Post by joewtc » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:52 pm

Hey Anders, I actually don't know which cliff you are talking about. But whatever and whichever locations work. More support, the better. I'm humongously impressed by so many great people out there helping out. THANK YOU!!! We are at $1105now!

bradley3297

Post by bradley3297 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:17 pm

just a couple of short routes on large boulders.
Bradley

joewtc

Post by joewtc » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:30 pm

Thank you everyone for the SUCCESS of the Santa Climbing/Fundraising Challenge! 30+ volunteers climbed 15,000m+ & raised $1400+ all for the Climbers Access Society BC! Good job everybody!

BlahMatt

Post by BlahMatt » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:03 am

Had a great time climbing my 1200 meters and cheering everyone on. Thanks for organizing, Joe!

joewtc

Post by joewtc » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:11 pm

It's truly an amazing turnout and support from the community! By the way, the challenge campaign is open to all till Dec 25. Please have fun, climb/boulder lots wherever you want, donate online to ACCESS, message me your climb/donation so I can keep track and post the results on Dec 26. I know a lot of people here might climb 300+ laps and I might have to create more categories for them e.g. the Everest 300+ laps, the moon 400+ laps?

Anders Ourom

Post by Anders Ourom » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:04 pm

Good work on organizing a succesful, and fun, event on Saturday!

Jeff Thomson and I dropped by Cliffhanger Coquitlam, and there were 15 or 20 climbers and belayers climbing away. In the time we did ten or twelve climbs, they did 30 or 40. It was most impressive!

Neither of us participated per se, or had signed up sponsors or anything, but we did agree to donate to a good cause. (Jeff to renew his membership, too - the Access Society is always stronger, and more credible, with paid-up members.) When Jeff and I were directors, and at one time or another presidents, of the Access Society, we sometimes talked about doing a "climb-a-thon". Glad to see that someone took the initiative on this one.

And thanks to Cliffhanger Coquitlam, MEC and other sponsors for their support!

ps And they're still trying to figure out the Eleven Bolt Rock/Rurp Riot thing. Hee hee.

joewtc

Post by joewtc » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:20 am

Hey Anders, nice to meet you and Jeff at the gym. Excuse me if I wasn't making sense when talking with you guys. I was under the influence of climbing a little bit too much.