VOC Longhike head up

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
ansil
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

VOC Longhike head up

Post by ansil » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:04 am

Hi all,

I just wanted to give you all a heads up that the VOC is going to be all around Squamish on Saturday and maybe also on Sunday. I think its roughly 200 people this year if if you want peace and quiet it might be best to find somewhere hard or somewhere other than Squamish this weekend.

MarkR

Post by MarkR » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:20 am

Can you be a little more specific on where you're going? 200 is a lot of people and it's the first nice weekend in a month.

crimptacular
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by crimptacular » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:54 am

http://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/Longhike

Based on the site info, they'll be at Smoke Bluffs and/or Murrin.

...eeep.....

slopr

Re: VOC Longhike head up

Post by slopr » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:57 am

ansil wrote:Hi all,

I just wanted to give you all a heads up that the VOC is going to be all around Squamish on Saturday and maybe also on Sunday. I think its roughly 200 people this year if if you want peace and quiet it might be best to find somewhere hard or somewhere other than Squamish this weekend.
I think it is obvious where they will be, 30ppl toproping burgers & fries, 30ppl tr pixie corner, 40 ppl @ neat and cool (cat crack & corn flakes), 20 ppl on mosquito, & probably the rest hogging equally between quarryman & penny lane. Maybe u guys should go do your famous multipitch crap crags. I find it somewhat offensive that you think that you can recommend others not climb in squam on the first nice weekend since august, i am sure i'm not alone to be disappointed when reading this post. How are you more entitled to climb here than anybody else? Large groups like this should climb @ the lesser known crags and areas to promote traffic and help clean up lesser known climbs rather than hogging, crowding, and continuing to polish up the classic climbs via mass toproping, all while trampling the base and walking off trail excessively. Have fun.

Cloudraker

Post by Cloudraker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:17 am

Come on people, give the kids a break. They have as much right to make use of this resource as anyone else. This happens once a year and they always make an announcement prior to the weekend.

bradley3297

Post by bradley3297 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:02 pm

they sure do but they set up topropes and monopolize huge areas for hours up to all day long allowing absolutley no turnover. its selfish....
Bradley

thebigchin

Post by thebigchin » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:21 pm

Meh... No different than any sunny summer Saturday in the bluffs. There's only about 500 other places to climb around the area. It's just incentive to be more adventurous.

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:40 pm

There's only about 500 other places to climb around the area.
Didnt you read the well thought out courteous post?
I just wanted to give you all a heads up that the VOC is going to be all around Squamish so it might be best to find somewhere other than Squamish this weekend.
So according to Ansil, every venue in all of Squamish is reserved for VOC

Hey Ansil, maybe take a course in communications next term, may help if your going to continue to be a spokesperson.

effie
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by effie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:51 pm

why is it that when someone goes to the trouble to post a friendly "heads up" about the weekend plans of a large group, they get ripped on like that? all ansil was doing was warning other climbers and letting them know what to expect so they won't be disappointed..

i don't get it.

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:12 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll steer well clear of the more popular cragging venues this weekend.

K

psi4ce

Post by psi4ce » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:06 am

Yeah, give them a break!

It's a free country. They have every right to climb where-ever and when-ever they like.

There's no need to be rude about it.

ansil
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

For all of you who took this poorly.

Post by ansil » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:10 pm

First of all I have nothing to do with the planning of this event. All I was trying to give you guys a heads up there would be lots of climbers around.

Weather has nothing to do with if the event happens or not. I know it has happened in the rain for several years and we didn't wait for the first good weekend in 6 weeks. To think that the VOC is trying to exclude other climbers from the area is unrealistic not to mention that Squamish is an extensive area and there's more than just burgers and fries.

Everyone that climbs had to start climbing somewhere. Longhike is one of the larger events in BC that will introduce many people to climbing. I don't see how getting more people into climbing being a negative thing. Climbing etiquette, respect of nature, and others people in general are all things taught on Longhike by the instructors. If someone went to burgers and fries, set up 10 top ropes, and stay there all day its within their right although poor etiquette.

One way or the other the event would happen with or without this post. The alternative to this post would be to find out on the day itself. I decided to give you the courtesy of knowing ahead of time. That's all I did.

slopr

Post by slopr » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:46 am

I don't think that anyone believes that the real issue here is that VOC is trying to exclude anyone from being allowed to climb here. IMO the issue is more about the impact of big groups in popular areas and it is something that will become more of an issue as climbing gets even more popular. A new climber does not know the dif between a classic climb and a choss pile so it is the group leaders that need to be aware of the impact that large groups who are excessively tr'ing has on the rock. Here are 2 quotes from p.20 of the climbers guide to squam under "Courtesy and common sense":

"Large Groups. If you operate a guiding business or teach a large group, please avoid monopolising popular crags and routes. To teach anywhere in the Squamish Municipality or in provincial parks, you must have a business license or valid permit, respectively or both"

and on the same page

"Avoid excessive toproping. Excessive toproping on popular climbs polishes the rock: That's a fact and it is an irreversible process: Look at flying circus. Damage can be reduced by avoiding top-rope sessions on popular classic climbs until your skill level is up to leading them without falls, or better yet, avoid such climbs entirely. Please exercise restraint and have fun flailing on easier, less travelled routes. It is the pressure of climbers flailing above their ability level that does the most damage to the rock."

I just hope that these things have been taken into consideration by VOC, i don't think that Mclane is entitled to make the rules, but in this case i think he makes a lot of sense. So maybe skip the usual mosquito polishing session and check out some of the newly cleaned and less travelled areas. Funarama, call it a day, channel road crags, bughouse heights, etc so we can preserve the rock as long as possible. I understand you are just the messenger ansil but i hope you are at least aware of the message you are delivering amd how it may come off.

smallman

Post by smallman » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:21 am

I disagree slopr. I would much rather have the polishing confined to a small area of climbs instead of spreading it around everywhere. And plus if you are a local you should have climbed the majority of the routes at the usual gumbie areas. The last thing I want is the secret less travelled areas in the bluffs not in the select guide seeing more traffic.

bradley3297

Post by bradley3297 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:27 pm

the only problem is the monopolizing of the majority of climbs. the local guiding companies will let you climb any climbs they are set up on. which is good ethics all you have to do is ask. yet ive been flat out told by voc members that its going to be up all day and too bad pretty much. Noone owns these climbs which means noone has a right to leave a rope up there all day. and if you do allow others a chance in between. that being said i avoid the bluffs like the plague if at all possible so no harm done.
Bradley