Community Forum changes - What would you like to see?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
ras

Re: Community Forum changes - What would you like to see?

Post by ras » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:23 pm

the_other_Dave_Jones wrote:What other suggestions do you have?
I'd really like an RSS (or atom) feed for each forum, and one for each post.

M
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by M » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:21 pm

i use this site to mainly find climbing partners, route conditions, new routes and lost gear.
i find this site useful when it comes to route conds/new routes/notices about falcons...
i stop using this site for a while mainly due to the nastiness i read
maybe the word "community" shouldnt be used at all...how bout delete...
squamish is a world class climbing place...i'm from somewhere else..
perhaps there should be a ranting page where ppl can just go and dump @$%t
but the @$%#t stays there...
i use two other climbing sites and they are pretty good...my name/gender/location are there no prob but in here i wouldnt dare...maybe coz being nasty-not that i have been-is pemissible...n therefore plain ugly

ella the nobody

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:35 pm

Tricouni wrote:One forum to which I contibute has a very nice feature. When you are logged in and click on some thread that you are following, there is a "go to first unread post" button. This saves much time if you only check a busy discussion once in a while and you've forgetten where you were.

Glenn
x2.
Great idea Glenn!

5.4 Slayer

Post by 5.4 Slayer » Sun May 09, 2010 7:22 am

Hey, could you guys add a link to the Fern Hill topo in the Map, Crags & Topos section? Thanks.

Gary K

hafilax

Post by hafilax » Tue May 18, 2010 1:36 pm

Is it possible to change the coding for the emoticons? 8)=8-bracket shows up whenever someone tries to post something like:
Mosquito (5.8)
Octopus Garden (5.8)
Dierdre (5.8)
Magical Child (5.8)
etc.

Optimally-Primed

Post by Optimally-Primed » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:39 am

Just occurred to me... having some space to be able to upload images and topos directly into the site would be a huge improvement. Supertopo has that function. I think it would improve the site.
Jeremy

YetAnotherDave

Post by YetAnotherDave » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:47 am

One thing that's always bugged me about the forum software is that middle-click always follows links, as well as opening a new tab. Must be some javascript override, as that doesn't happen anywhere else. Can that behaviour go away?

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:22 am

YetAnotherDave wrote:One thing that's always bugged me about the forum software is that middle-click always follows links, as well as opening a new tab. Must be some javascript override, as that doesn't happen anywhere else. Can that behaviour go away?
With my computer (Apple), it is impossible to open each post or thread/topic in a new tab in a "shortcut" fashion (kind of like pushing the wheel down on the mouse with a PC computer). If I try to open up a topic in a tab, then the topic opens in the current window, and a new tab. So I have to press the 'back' button in the current window to get back to the forum and then switch to the other tab to read the topic I opened.

The only way for Apple computers to open up a thread/post in a new tab on SquamishClimbing is to right click - open. Ridiculous.

This is the only website I've ever been on that does that.

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:38 am

Thanks for you comments and suggestions - keep them coming. I'll look further into the opening a link in a new tab or a new page. But my first thought was this was something you control on your own web browser in preferences. And on a Mac since the mouse does not have a right click button don't you press the option key to pull up a menu to open the link in a new tab?

As for Jeremy's question about uploading photos on the forum server, I've been giving this some thought. I think being able to post photos and videos easily would be a great feature. The downside is that storage costs go up significantly as well new software would have to be bought to manage the photo uploading and archiving. I'm still looking into it.

Another option I'm looking into would be to incorporate google into the site. Using picasaweb, google maps and google earth on the site would be a great way to boost the useability of the site especially in the sorely lacking Maps, Crags and Topos section.

What are your thoughts on that idea?
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:34 pm

Regarding the issue of storage space required for pictures: On another forum I frequent, It is set up that photos are hosted elsewhere (photobucket or fliker) and inserting the address of the img file when you are posting results in the image showing up in your post. They've instituted a rule that images can only be 500 pixels wide so they won't swamp slow connections and tiny screens.

The only downside is when someone does a bit of cleanup on their online photoalbums sometimes the links are lost.

Lets see if it works here:

Yup it works just fine. Thoughts?

harihari

Post by harihari » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

I would like to be able to edit my forum posts without having to email the manager or whoever each time.

slopr

Post by slopr » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:59 am

what happened to the buy and sell?

slopr

Post by slopr » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:00 am

slopr wrote:what happened to the buy and sell?
there it is

breadbin
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Re:

Post by breadbin » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:39 pm

The only way for Apple computers to open up a thread/post in a new tab on SquamishClimbing is to right click - open. Ridiculous.
Brendan, not sure what browser you're using on your Mac, but on Firefox, command-click will open a new tab

Ed

BK

Post by BK » Sun May 08, 2011 11:11 am

I vote for making full name disclosure as well. The whole notion of hiding ones identity has seemed rather bizarre to me. The only vaguely legitimate reasons I can think of to hide would be if you fear for your job somehow or perhaps the hells angels or the government - but that would be paranoid....right?

No I think the main reason is that one dosn't need to take responsibility for what you say.

Sincerely yours, Doug Fur