Squamish in Spring

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
islander

Squamish in Spring

Post by islander » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:28 am

How is climbing in Squamish during the spring (April-June)? Is the weather fairly unpredictable w/ a lot of rain? Or is it usually fairly dry by April/May?

Are the crags very busy? Easy to find partners?

pinnbasher

Post by pinnbasher » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:35 pm

climbs are completly closed here from from April till mid July. I would just try Nanaimo. Cheers
Take your chance while you still got a choice.

islander

Post by islander » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:01 am

I thought the falcon closure only affects some areas, not all the climbs?

JSmith

Post by JSmith » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:43 am

Rocksmasher's just pulling your leg, Squampton will be good in the spring.
The falcon closures only affect a small chunk of the Chief, so that's not really a consideration.
It can be rainy, but as long a you are happy not climbing long routes everyday, you should have no problem finding some dry rock to climb (either in Sq. or within a few hours drive).
Finding partners depends on what you want to do, and how badly you want to do it. There are hundreds of climbers living in town, hundreds more in Vancouver, plus many travelers like yourself.

Now that I think about it... you should probably just move here.

J.

islander

Post by islander » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:33 am

I am planning to move there temporarily, but other things prevent a permanent move.

How well does McLanes book describe how weather conditions effect different areas (i.e. wet vs dry in the spring months) I have yet to pick it up...

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:50 am

islander wrote:I am planning to move there temporarily, but other things prevent a permanent move.

How well does McLanes book describe how weather conditions effect different areas (i.e. wet vs dry in the spring months) I have yet to pick it up...
For some climbs (both McLane's and Bourdon's books) they tell you, but not on everything that seeps.

When you get the book, post what climbs you are interested in doing and we'll help you out.