Opinions on North North Arete?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Khoi

Opinions on North North Arete?

Post by Khoi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:25 pm

My climbing partner and I climbed that route last Sunday.

Before I rant about it, I would like to hear some other peoples' opinions on it. Have any of you done it? What are your thoughts on it?
~Khoi

Optimally-Primed

Post by Optimally-Primed » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:07 am

I *had* fond memories of it. But climbed it recently and thought that it was really dirty and terribly vegetated. I had an inkling to clean it up... but seeing the amount of dirt on the route made me think that it would be another herculean effort, almost on par with the deforestation of Crap Crags. I can't say that I'll go back. The Big Green Machine seems to have claimed that one...

pinner

Post by pinner » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:16 pm

This is one I've been planning on getting on for eons, the adventurousness of it and McLane's obvious fondness for it in his description are tantalizing.... however, the prospect of mucho dirto has kept me short on partners. Love to hear your recent experience...

Anders Ourom

Post by Anders Ourom » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:42 pm

It seemed a fun and challenging adventure climb, in the traditional Squamish sense. In a quiet corner of the Chief, with an energetic approach. The route isn't obvious, and there seem to be several variations. It isn't all clean and logged, but then that's the natural state of rock at Squamish.

I recommend the route. It's sometimes fun to do climbs that involve route finding, climbing trees, and all manner of techniques, even if they're not prettified.

ps The so-called birthing pitch is no big deal - even I fitted through it comfortably.

slopr

Re: Opinions on North North Arete?

Post by slopr » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:06 pm

Khoi wrote:
Before I rant about it
Let's hear this rant!! :)

Khoi

Post by Khoi » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:31 pm

I'll type it up tomorrow afternoon.
~Khoi