Malmute camping

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
enchanted

Post by enchanted » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:23 am

Here are some facts from someone who has lived here almost my entire life and worked hard for access in our area:

1. Riel and the rest of the people who chose to stay on the Malamute are WRONG!
You don't just come into town, roll onto someones property and set up camp. Especially in such a visible spot.

2. Once you've been alerted to an issue such as your Malamute camp you don't argue and continue to jeopardize an areas recreational resources. The Malamute has had plenty of threats to access over the years and many local climbers have worked hard to maintain access just to have some irresponsible visitors come in and potentially undo our hard work.

3. The misstep was made known and you chose to stay on. What choice did you leave our climbing community? Your disappointment pales in comparison to our disgust with you and your disrespect for our climbing resources and community.

Your actions smells of immaturity as do your arguments. Hopefully, you've learned something from this whole experience but alas in reading your last posts it appears you have not.

Future campers, stay away from the Malamute. There are plenty of other spots to camp. Don't stay too long in one area and if you are asked to leave do so promptly and show a little respect for the community you're visiting.

slopr

Post by slopr » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:47 pm

Well put enchanted, i'm glad the tent city is gone as well. Hopefully future visitors will understand how important it is to respect the wishes of the local community - regardless of where you are visiting or where you are from, i'm sure most of us do when we travel to new areas.

nester

Tent retreival?

Post by nester » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:56 pm

I was the one who's tent mysteriously blew away and left all my stuff in a pile on the Malamute.

If the message was "you're not welcome here"... recieved, loud and clear:

- We've packed up. It was by far the best place I've ever lived, but would still have left if I thought I was risking access to the Malamute. No one, let alone a credible source (not an anonymous on the internet), gave us evidence that the owner cared about our camp.

- I agree it was getting out of hand recently, and we could sense tensions rising. I had more hope though, in the community, to communicate peacefully.

- If I can get my tent back, it would be much appreciated.

Seeing as my money's gone too, it could be petty theft, but it doesn't add up. Either way... I'll need somewhere dry to sleep if the rain ever returns. You can leave it for me at the Brew Pub if you want. I told them my friend is dropping it off in the next couple days, they said they'll hold it for me.

bradley3297

Post by bradley3297 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:56 pm

you poor soul.....
Bradley

Dru

Post by Dru » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:07 pm

The "negative option refusal" being voiced here by some of the campers where they presume it's OK to camp on private land unelss the owner tells them directly it isn't is philosophically tenuous. Like if I come home from work sopme day I shouldn't have to find a tent city on my lawn and tell the squatters to move on - the default position is that it is not OK and unless you can get permission specifically to be there, you shouldn't be there. The campers seem to have rationalized this away because they wanted to camp close to the Chief and to town.

slopr

Post by slopr » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:17 pm

The old saying: "you sleep in the bed that you make for yourself" rings a bell here.

Fre

Post by Fre » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:54 am

Don't you just love how anal locals get when they talk about their precious and sacred "private land." One would almost think that they've rightfully bought it according to the contemporary real-estate procedures as outlined by our great friend Columbus.

slopr

Post by slopr » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:08 am

Totally Fre..... it's so lame how the locals actually care and want to maintain access @ Squamish for future generations. It's so sad too, how it comes at the expense of the "homes" of some ignorant hippies. The junkies downtown were bound to figure it out sooner or later and pedal their 10 speeds up there to go collect their rightful meth-tax that all stupid people pay for leaving their valuable sh*t in obvious places. Maybe they should move to the top of Burgers and Fries and the smoke bluff committee could make them a protected species. One thing we should all feel thankful for is that there is a good chance no animals were harmed or eaten at the Malmute this summer.

Sunday

Post by Sunday » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:02 pm

I don't feel like this is the place to take things personally.
This is not an issue with who's lifestyle has the smaller imprint.
There is no need to get violent.
There was too many tents visible <- that's the bottom line.

hopefully a meth addict taxed the missing tent and not a local climber

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:21 pm

Wow what a bunch of eBallers and thugs.

Although I'm staying out of the actual topic regarding what is right or wrong with regards to camping on top of the Malamute, I do disagree with vandalizing others property in an anonymous manner.

So would the person(s) responsible have the balls to own up to it? I bet not.

mcgarnickle

Post by mcgarnickle » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:57 pm

Brendan wrote:Wow what a bunch of eBallers and thugs.
I think the word you're looking for is mall ninjas.

Watch out, they'll kick your e-a$%.
Μολὼν λάβε

Steve J

slopr

Post by slopr » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:38 pm

I think it's pretty obvious that it wasn't a climber who stole the tent. The Chief and Apron parking lots have the highest amount of vehicle break-ins anywhere in the whole sea to sky corridor, i'm not sure if you could expect less (being robbed) while camping in plain view of the highway. I have had my car broken into right across the street before. The fact that money was allegedly left at the camping area and stolen as well just solidifies the fact that good judgement was not in the forefront of the campers minds from the beginning. Who leaves all their cash @ their illegal camping spot?! Especially after being alerted to the fact that they shouldn't be there. Most climbers have better things to do like go climbing or engage other climbers in a battle of wits via internet machines.
As far as the hippy/veggie call goes- i'm sorry , i like Jack Jonson,Xaver Rud, & eggplant too :) Just got a little worked up by the anal local call.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:21 pm

slopr,

There is a very high probability that it was a local tribe (but not to be confused with an Indian Tribe, but rather tribe as in a group or assembly or congregation or whatever else you want it to be) which wreaked this havoc.

Although these locals may be hard to spot, hiding in the bushes and stuff, they are there and pose a very real threat to us lowly climbers.

Be safe out there everybody and watch your neck.

Fre

Post by Fre » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:20 am

Sorry Slopr, it was not my intention to call any local "anal," just the habit of being overprotective of your own land. That said, I do believe that camping illegally in a very visible spot for more than a night is dumb.