Sully's Hangout ~ Lynn Peak

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
sandBag

Sully's Hangout ~ Lynn Peak

Post by sandBag » Fri May 22, 2009 12:30 pm

Hi All

:D This is the official posting of this relativily new climbing area in North Vancouver. There is a posting in the general discussion relating to this area but it does not contain any infomation about access and routes.

READ THIS PORTION PLEASE

The Lower Seymour Conservation Area (LSCR) has decided not permit rock climbing or manage the climbing area within it's borders. The LSCR will not prevent persons from climbing within the LSCR's borders at this time. Any person who chooses to rock climb within the LSCR borders does so at thier own risk. A Sign will be posted stating the LSCR's posistion.

As an active member of the climbing scene in the Vancouver area and the main person behind the the development of this area, I would greatly appreciate if any one does decide to go there to climb to understand and inform themselves of the LSCR's position before going. To keep the this option available to all climbers please respect any signs posted with regards to this area.

There will be no organized trail building or posting of any information regarding this climbing area within the LSCR's borders.

Crag Status

There are currently several routes in various states of being completed. If you see a red/orange tag on the first bolt it is still a project and please don't climb the route. These routes take any where from 6-10 hours of hard work to prep and if it takes myself and those who are helping me time to redpoint the route then so be it. This is a sensitive area so please be kind to it, so we all can continue to climb there. I'm open to feedback but cannot gaurantee I can respond to it.

Topo Coming.
Cheers and see at the crag.

Sandbag :D

sandBag

topo for sully's

Post by sandBag » Fri May 22, 2009 3:32 pm

I have submitted the current topo the moderator, once it is upload to the site I will link to it.

5.4 Slayer

Post by 5.4 Slayer » Fri May 22, 2009 7:52 pm

You've done a great job there Shaun. Thanks
Did you need any help with anything there?

Axel

Post by Axel » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:37 pm

Nice! Looking forward to checking it out.

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:05 pm

Went for a quick burn up to this crag yesterday after work.

-Its 1.5km hike in took me 45 min in and 25 min out

-Gate closes at 9 pm SHARP I was locked in and luckily the rangers drove out at 9:30 opening the gate up. The better place to park if your worred about gate closures is Lynn Valley road and Dempsey then walk in via Rice lake road, 5 min extra.

- This place is very similar to senior centre, shady, very buggy, foilage up top probably makes for a slow dry out. If the tree branches are not cut these climbs will quickly moss over. As it is now the easy routes on the left side were filled in with pine needles and was holding wettness.

- Routes look great my newbie friend did his first lead on 3m and he liked it we did Lubo and then finished on Shake your Lettuce which we both thought was spectacular.

-There is going to have to be alot of traffic to keep these routes clean and/or some tree branch pruning on the crag side. Ask Payan/Thompson how they chooped off those branches 100' high at Among the firs...

Thanks for the hard work trail is good and easy to find, its bolted well and the routes look good.

Cheers

Jesse

ras

Post by ras » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:09 pm

J Mace wrote:Went for a quick burn up to this crag yesterday after work.

-There is going to have to be alot of traffic to keep these routes clean and/or some tree branch pruning on the crag side. Ask Payan/Thompson how they chooped off those branches 100' high at Among the firs...
Isn't this a park?

Before anybody starts chopping at trees, pls check if that isn't the kindof thing that will seriously anger the ranger's.

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:19 pm

You mean like how Murrin is a park and the Chief is a park? Ya I have no idea what that means, but a few branches seems pretty chill to me...

ras

Post by ras » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:20 pm

J Mace wrote:You mean like how Murrin is a park and the Chief is a park? Ya I have no idea what that means, but a few branches seems pretty chill to me...
Or how Lighthouse Park is a park?

http://squamishclimbing.com/squamish_cl ... php?t=1965

I wouldn't want to be the guy who put those bolts in at arbutus alley...

I'm just saying, ask before you cut.

"""
LSCR policy require that without exception, only trained Metro
Vancouver staff or contractors perform storm damaged tree clean-up or any tree cutting on
Greater Vancouver Water District (incl. LSCR) lands.
"""
- http://public.metrovancouver.org/servic ... earing.pdf
[/url]

psi4ce

Post by psi4ce » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:59 am

Glad to hear people are enjoying the area!

Yes, Sully's Hangout is shady and cool. And yes, it is a slow to dry out completely, especially in spring and fall.

However, significant vegetation management--including tree removal and modification--is not an open question. If at all, vegetation management is performed at the discretion of the primary climbing area developers who have to keep access issues squarely in mind.

Access to Sully's is not necessarily guaranteed and we want to keep our impact to a minimum.

As for moss, currently Sully's is receiving a good amount of summer climbing traffic and in my opinion it will not suffer from mossing over in the same way the Senior Centre has (that's another story).

The routes to the left are newer and may not be entirely cleaned up just yet so check back.

Axel

Post by Axel » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:52 pm

Went for a fat burner up Lynn Peak today and stopped in at "Sully's" to check it out.

NICE WORK!

I'm so glad I didn't find that before you guys or I might have been tempted to start scrubbing it myself. You've done a ton of work up there. Much appreciated.

I am really looking forward to trying some of the routes.

I'm not sure what J Mace is talking about (45 min in) took more like 15 - 20 tops.

This place is worth checking out people, don't let the moss take it back!

Axel[/b]

sandBag

Post by sandBag » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:25 pm

ATTENTION CLIMBERS<p>
The GATE closes at 9pm. It has become a problem where park users are leaving late. If climbers continue to do this the climbing area will be shut down. Please leave no later then 8:15pm to ensure you get out on time. Do not force the Gate open. This will result in a call to the local RCMP. </p>

<p>Starting June 29th, any cars in the parking lot after 9pm will be TOWED!</p>

<p>I have posted a sign at the crag please do not remove this sign as it acts as a reminder that climbing in LSCR is a privilege and can be revoked at any time. –

Thank You, Shaun (sandbag)
</p>

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:27 pm

The better place to park if your worred about gate closures is Lynn Valley road and Dempsey then walk in via Rice lake road, 5 min extra.

psi4ce

Post by psi4ce » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:32 am

J Mace is correct.

You can park outside the gates in the residential area near the convenience store at the corner of Lynn Valley Road and Dempsey Road. This convenience store is called the End of the Line General Store.

Access to the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve is quick and easy via a short gravel dead-ender called Rice Lake Road, and a pedestrian bridge across Lynn Creek known locally as the "Pipeline Bridge".

But again, discretion is absolutely necessary when parking. Do not park anywhere on Rice Lake Road as it is signed as a tow zone. Many other potential parking spots in the area are also signed as no parking as well. Also bear in mind that residents of Upper Lynn Valley are very accustomed to people taking liberties with parking due to mountain biking activity, so park legally because you won't be fooling anyone and they will not hesitate to tow.

jlaye
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Time in and Sign

Post by jlaye » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:38 am

sandBag, you mentioned that you put a sign up somewhere, I was up there Saturday and Sunday and I did not see a sign, maybe I simply missed it though.

On the time it takes to hike in, this depends really on how active you are, how fast you walk.. etc. I was interested in how far the hike was and from the main parking lot it is probably about a 1.9 - 2km hike on way. it is 1.2km to the turn off from headwaters trail, then 0.6km to the small cairn, then maybe about 100m Grouse Grind like trail to the crag. This might sound far, but really it does not take long.

Great crag, absolutely loved it.