Skaha sleeping

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Marty

Skaha sleeping

Post by Marty » Mon May 11, 2009 11:48 am

Hey everyone,

I'm heading to Skaha for the long weekend. Could anyone recommend a good place to camp, or a cheap place to stay?

Cheers,
Marty

hans

Post by hans » Mon May 11, 2009 4:31 pm

To be honest, I don't think there is much in the way of decent, let alone good, camping anywhere near Skaha. The private campgrounds are awful, and expensive.

The last couple of times I've gone there I've stayed at Okanagan Provincial Park, which is about midway between Peachland and Summerland. It's a bit of a drive to the crags, but the camping is not that bad.

If anyone has any better ideas I'd love to hear them. It's too bad there isn't primitive camping available at the new parking area. There is certainly space for it.

Hans

Dooley

Post by Dooley » Tue May 12, 2009 9:12 am

Lost Moose Lodge up Carmi road. Campsites are available or you could drive 5 minutes beyond and camp anywhere along the logging road.

My 2 cents, they should make a bivy site compared to Smith off of the new parking lot. Pay parking and camp is included.

and if you are going there this weekend, make sure you are at the gate when it opens, 8am. I was there last weekend and the lot was almost full by 10 am, and that wasnt a long weekend.
When in doubt....run it out!!!!

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Tue May 12, 2009 10:06 am

To be honest, I don't think there is much in the way of decent, let alone good, camping anywhere near Skaha.
They dont have logging roads in Penticton.....I suppose it depends on what you mean by good camping...free is good camping in my books :)

Dru

Post by Dru » Tue May 12, 2009 2:11 pm

The only problem with the Penticton logging roads is that by the time you drive out to where the camping is free and back to the crag, you use more money for gas than you would have paid to stay at Waterworld or whatever.

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Wed May 13, 2009 10:31 am

Maybe I should say power line access roads then...I dont go often but I have always found a free close place to stay...who knows maybe its all been fenced off

Fre

Post by Fre » Thu May 14, 2009 10:11 am

The "climber's" price in Waterworld (the camping ground closest to the crag I think) went up to 8$ a person. I seem to remember that it used to be 5. But you get hot showers and a hot tub (open till 10pm) for that.
A cheaper option is the BC camp ground in Okanagan Falls, 19$ for 4 people, could be a bit full (people already pitched a tent yesterday to reserve a spot for this weekend).
You do have to get to the parking lot early, even on weekdays (yesterday, Tuesday and Monday) it was pretty busy (despite the rain, wind and hail at a certain point). During any weekend the parking is more than half full by 9.
I saw remains of a campfire at Claim it all, and another at the Caves. I suppose people camp there, which is obviously not the way to go, but if you don't start a campfire, and pack everything out (there is a toilet near Claim it all) and pitch your tent on the rocky terrace, then what (the f) is the problem? The area is busy anyway, people leave sh*t in different places, there's some huge rusty iron sh*t next to the parking lot (left there since it looks arty-farty and not like garbage?) so the impact on the area is enormous for sure. Despite that we saw snakes, birds of prey, deer and big horned sheep who probably won't notice a tent here or there. No doubt though that a campground next to the parking lot in that huge meadow would be a good solution. Or another solution instead of random camping?

Khoi

Post by Khoi » Thu May 14, 2009 3:30 pm

I'm going to be climbing in Skaha May 5 - May 8. I've never been there before.

What's the best route to get there?

Google Maps suggested taking the #1 past Hope, then the #3, then the #5 the Coquihalla to Merritt, and then the 97C to Penticton.

Distance: 417 km

But how about taking the #1 past Hope, then the #3 through Manning Park and Princeton and on to Penticton?

Distance: 387 km
~Khoi

hans

Post by hans » Thu May 14, 2009 3:34 pm

Highway 3 through Manning Park/Princeton is faster

Dru

Post by Dru » Thu May 14, 2009 7:50 pm

Yes, and you can stop off for some Hedley bouldering along the way!

c-plus

Post by c-plus » Thu May 14, 2009 9:09 pm

hans wrote:Highway 3 through Manning Park/Princeton is faster
but if your g/f gets car sick easily, i'd say stick with the hwy 5 route!!!!

pinner

Post by pinner » Thu May 14, 2009 11:25 pm

Highway 3 - faster and much nicer. Lived in Penticton and have driven both ways many a time

Khoi

Post by Khoi » Fri May 15, 2009 12:33 pm

c-plus wrote:
hans wrote:Highway 3 through Manning Park/Princeton is faster
but if your g/f gets car sick easily, i'd say stick with the hwy 5 route!!!!
Is it windier (and therefore slower...) to go the Manning Park route?
~Khoi

pinner

Post by pinner » Fri May 15, 2009 1:05 pm

actual driving speed - yes, slower due to a winding highway (limit is 80 for most of the way opposed to 110 on the Coquihalla), but driving time is less; less distance, and you don't have to drive through Kelowna. Of course, you can tie in Yak Peak if you've got an extra day going the Coq, which is always enticing...

Marty

Post by Marty » Tue May 19, 2009 11:45 am

Thanks everyone.

We ended up crashing on the floor of a friend, didn't realize they'd be there until late in the planning :)