Yawn.... WTF? Anyone been out climbing?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Cloudraker

Yawn.... WTF? Anyone been out climbing?

Post by Cloudraker » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:19 pm

This forum always seems to crash and burn during the winter. It would almost suggest that no one's out climbing, but we all know that's not the case. So somebody, for the love of god, tell us what you've been up to besides pulling the proverbial pud praying for the rock to dry, the snow to fall, or the ice to come in.

After the gods punished me for most of November I finally got out last weekend and skied on Mt. Baker (in the rain near freezing level) and then spent some of the week bouldering on plastic..... I keep telling myself that things could be worse.

Plans for ice cragging tomorrow so stoked for that, but I have heard whispers about some dry days on Squamish granite and good, but ephemeral, mixed conditions in the hills.

Please post up with inspiring reports to keep me/us going through this unusually long shoulder season :shock:

enchanted

Post by enchanted » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:23 am

The Co-op in Squamish has been a good source of therapy. Andrew Boyd has been busy making some really nice hard wood holds. We appreciate all the new additions. Drop in passes are available if anyone wants to come check it out. You just need to track down an annual member to sign you in.

Other than that it's been pretty bleak.

crazymonkey

Post by crazymonkey » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:31 pm

does anyone else feel like pulling plastic is like running on a hamster wheel? It would be awesome if gyms would get a giant water bottle with the little metal ball on the end to keep us hydrated...

JSmith

Post by JSmith » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:27 pm

I got out bouldering a couple times last week. Been spending much time at the Co Op. Boyd and Beef told me they cleaned about 20 new problems at the Bluffs! Boyd also bolted a new project on the Supervalue headwall. Al and Travis as usual have been cleaning at the Bluffs (around the Island crag?), as usual.
What else?

pj
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by pj » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:00 pm

Hey there guys, im not from round Van but will be soon hopefully, so the possibility to boulder and climb in winter is still possible? Thats awesome news I'd imagine it would be hardcore but are there still a fair amount of people climbing round squamish in winter?

Cloudraker

Post by Cloudraker » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:31 am

pj, it's been cold in Squamish lately so a better time for ice climbing or skiing. But you can climb almost year-round in Squamish if you're hungry/desperate enough for it.

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:42 pm

Anyone got any good training tips?

dakine

Post by dakine » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:46 am

I hear the best off season training is snow shoveling :lol:
DJ 1%