North Van climbing spot

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
man in trees

North Van climbing spot

Post by man in trees » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:34 am

Hello, this may not be the correct venue for this post but I am in search of some info regarding a climbing spot near Lynn Headwaters Park. I am a staff member at the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve in North Vancouver. The LSCR shares a border with Lynn Headwaters Park and we have recently been shown an area on our property that has roughly 20 bolted routes and some fixed lines. We, the LSCR, are looking to contact the person/group that has established this area to gain knowledge of the situation and hopefully create an agreement so that this area may be preserved as an asset within our landbase. Please understand that we are not opposed to having a climbing area within the LSCR and we welcome new rec opportunities. We have spent years developing a relationship with the North Shore Mountain Bike Association to develope and maintain the many downhill bike trails within our lands and now that we know of this climbing spot I would like to explore the idea of a similar relationship with a climbing group. As a land manager, we have a responsibility to provide the safest experience for our visitors as possible. Not being a climber myself, I cannot determine if the routes, hardware, and installation is up to the sports standards. If anyone on these boards is involved with the project or knows where I can gain knowledge on how to deal with this issue could please contact me it would be very much appreciated.
Thank you,
Matt Harmeson
Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve (Metro Vancouver)\
604-838-8185
matt.harmeson@metrovancouver.org

Peter

Post by Peter » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:00 am

Hello Matt,

I have sent you an email regarding your request. We can definitely help you out.

Peter Winter
Pres, CASBC

psi4ce

Post by psi4ce » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:53 pm

On behalf of Shaun, Peter, and the Climber's Access Society, this is an informational follow-up posting addressed to the climbing community regarding access issues affecting the Sully's Hangout climbing area in North Vancouver.

Please be advised that we have initiated a dialogue with representatives of the LSCR, and the results have been very positive and constructive. Our interaction with these authorities is ongoing. We fully expect a favourable outcome with both sides co-operating and in agreement.

Details regarding access to the Sully's Hangout climbing area will be included with the topo and area guide which is expected to be posted online later this autumn. Announcements will be made at that time.

Robbie Priestley
Climbing Community Representative
North Vancouver

Dru

Post by Dru » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:30 am

There's some incredibly good rock up the Seymour Valley and it will be good to see more of it "out of the closet" and public knowledge instead of secret crags.

the743

Was just there today..

Post by the743 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:28 pm

Oh yes... LH... Probably the wettest area of the North Shore. Either way, I took a visit there today to check out the climbs... Impressive work whoever is in charge of that! Wow :) It makes me so happy to see that there. It seriously made my day.

It was dripping wet today, but meh. LVC for life btw :)
which way is up?

Marty

Any news?

Post by Marty » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:15 pm

Has there been any news on this place? How would I get to it, and is there a topo available?

Cheers,
Marty

rolfr

Post by rolfr » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:57 pm

Come on Shawn , post the topo! The best way to keep moss of routes is to have people climb them. This crag is too sweet not to share. There may be a few unfinished projects but most climbers are too lazy a$% to poach them.

Yeah, yeah, yeah the Shore may be wet but this cliff is unique, you actually have to think to solve some of the sequences. A great summer crag!

Rolf

sandBag

Well... awaiting approval

Post by sandBag » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi all...

the crag is still pending approval from the LSCR, there is still some issue to be resolved and I'm hoping to have them cleared up before the summer starts.

Unless the weather improves soon, that is dries out, it will dry out early July at the earliest. :cry:

it would be grateful that no one climbs there until a topo has been post here on this website.

cheers.
sandbag

rockstarlette
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by rockstarlette » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:57 pm

Sully's rocks! A wicked after-work crag for sure! Great for novice leaders.... well bolted, with a variety of routes and difficulties. I think it's the only part of the city I will miss, now that I live in Squamish! I hope everything gets sorted out soon so lots of people can enjoy this quality crag :)