NE Habrich

Climbing above and beyond the Chief and Squamish Crags. Check here for trip reports and new routes in the Sea to Sky backcountry
DirtBagClimber
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

NE Habrich

Post by DirtBagClimber » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:02 pm

Hey folks I was just wondering if anybody ever venture towards the NE Col of Habrich???

Ive been hiking up checking some spots out and it looks like lots of potential in the area especially over the col I think it would be a great camping and climbing spot. Four of us did some climbs their last year not sure if it has been climbed before or not but theirs lots of cracks their and boulders to be climbed.

Ill post a google earth file and some photos tomorrow.

DirtBagClimber
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Re: NE Habrich

Post by DirtBagClimber » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:37 pm

I finally got to go back up again to take some photos of the area their was still lots of snow once you get on the north aspect but the good news is that their is an easier and shorter approach from the Shannon Creek (2hrs one way) side starting from the gondola involving no climbing. This a great area to go camping and climb some unclimbed routes away from the crowds in August.Theirs also access for water from a small cold spring coming out of a little cave.

The approach is simple follow the sky pilots trail from the gondola for 4km once the trail end at a boulder field go left up the main steep gully and into the gladed slope on the left right a way dont keep going up the drainage it gets very steep. Once in the trees hike up NE until you hit a wall with the gully on your right. To avoid scrambling just follow the wall to the left heading NW and keeping the wall to your right. You will slowly gain the col. Once at the col you will have Habrich on your left and the climbing area to your right. Head down towards the boulders and you will see the obvious main wall and if you hike down the boulders theirs more routes to be climbed.

None of the routes have bolts or anchors and only a handfull have been climbed by Fritz, me and 2 guys (dont remember their names) from the states who brought me here. We left some webbing inside a big chimney that I will be cleaning up once the snow is gone but that was the original way down the routes but their is a way to walk around... I think.

This is the view of the area coming from the Fluffy kitten wall approach

This is the rock just NE of Habrich

Left side of the main wall

domingo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Re: NE Habrich

Post by domingo » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:39 pm

Whatsup's Olivier! Thought I'd get around to posting some info on here:

A few friends and I have over the past two summers made 2 trips up to to a great NW facing bluff just SE of Habrich that we've dubbed The Janitor's Closet.It's about a 2 hr hike w/ the gondola and offers great sub alpine camping, good reliable stream even in the middle of summer, and pretty damn classy views north towards Garibaldi and northwards. I envision it as a great weekend spot - some cragging, some climbing on Habrich, and a scramble up Skypilot for good measure.

no signs of other climbing activity besides our rap anchors n bail slings from last summer...although others may have already graced these splitters and didn't even bother mentioning. For what it's worth I've talked to a few locals about the place and have reached out to the almighty internet, but have yet to find any real info. Most people end up thinking I'm talking about The Brain - a big slabby dome SE of Habrich. No fixed anchors as of yet - a 70m and doubles would do one well.

Rock is quite clean and not as glaciated as down in the valley. A lot of straight in jamming and not too much of those bottoming cracks...which makes for great ground-up ascents! Get after it!

On the Approach - good camping down and right

Left end of the closet

toolbox wall
Right end

Giftwrapped 5.10*** goes up the wide RF corner and up the headwall, left of center frame

DBC on Whats Next 5.9

Whose up?

The Gash 5.10 **