Escape Velocity, 5.9, Mt. Habrich

Climbing above and beyond the Chief and Squamish Crags. Check here for trip reports and new routes in the Sea to Sky backcountry
c-plus

Re: Escape Velocity, 5.9, Mt. Habrich

Post by c-plus » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:45 pm

My buddy and I climbed the route last Friday. Was good fun, but man oh man, the bugs were terrible! Bring bug dope!

SGB
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by SGB » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:44 pm

A fine day to get out and hike/climb
The approach is super fast as the trail is well used/marked. A little bit of erosion here and there. It took us 1.5 hours from the top of the gondola (no running but just steady)

A couple pieces of webbing are on the first 2 bolts of first pitch (easy to see). Agree with Peter that the route felt 5.7 as a whole apart from the 5.9 second pitch which was quite fun (and dry). A few too many bolts on pitch 6 maybe. We linked pitch 1/2, 3/4 and 5/6 no problem. Standard squamish rack to #3 is fine and 10 alpine draws. Took us 2 hours for the climb and the views up top are indeed amazing. Rappel straightforward with no stuck ropes.

Back at the gondola in a round trip of 6 hours.

Is this a 5 star climb? No. But combined with the hike, and the view - it makes for a great day outing and thus recommended.

MarcusGibbs

Post by MarcusGibbs » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:30 am

I always wanted to try mountain climbing. But I need some preparations to do before actually trying it. I need cardio exercises and I need the right equipment and gears. I know a girl that I met on Milfs Local. she's an experienced mountain climber.