Slesse - Glacier Conditions

Climbing above and beyond the Chief and Squamish Crags. Check here for trip reports and new routes in the Sea to Sky backcountry
Drew

Slesse - Glacier Conditions

Post by Drew » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:10 am

jmace and I did the Illusion Peaks traverse yesterday, giving us a bit of a ringside seat to the Slesse glaciers and icefalls.

Most ice falls between about 9 AM and 4 PM. Expect at least one an hour but they were sometimes as close together as 10-15 minutes.

The buttress toe approach is getting strafed by both Pocket Gl and North Slesse Gl.

There is a nasty serac to get onto the Bypass ramp

There is also a newish serac overhanging the North Rib start that calved once during the day and put debris almost onto the North Rib start.

This last one shows where icefalls mostly occurred during the day.

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Slesse - Glacier Conditions

Post by squamish climber » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:57 am

Thanks Drew, good photos and info - the toe of the Buttress is looking sketchy there. With this weather how long do you think it will be before the pocket glacier slides away?

BTW folks, if you haven't read Marc-Andre Leclerc's trip report of doing the NE Buttress and the North Rib in a day check it out. It's a great read and quite impressive when you think of it nearly 6.000 feet of alpine rock climbing in one long go. Well done Marc!

Marc-Andre Leclerc
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

Drew

Post by Drew » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:58 am

I wouldn't want to predict that Dave. Some years it goes and some years it doesn't.

Drew

Post by Drew » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:50 pm

Missed getting video of most of the ice falling but did catch this one
http://www.flickr.com/photos/druclimb/9349423470/

Drew

Post by Drew » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:21 am

Pocket glacier slid last week, probably sometime on Friday as reports have it there Thursday and gone Saturday morning.

Bare rock to the bypass start with some little remnant chunks still lurking above near the east face

bennygroundh20
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by bennygroundh20 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:49 pm

Just got back from a trip into the Nesakwatch spires on Sunday and got some great views of both the pocket glacier (or whats left of it) and the North Slesse glacier. The North Slesse looked as though it had not calved in some time, but certainly there is still some potential. In General the slabs were dry with no ice chunks present, and it looks like the approach is as safe as one could hope for considering the terrain features present.

B. Groundwater

Todd Mackenzie
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Todd Mackenzie » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:23 am

I climbed the NE buttress one week ago. We saw a huge chunk come off what is left of the pocket glacier as we were about to cross over to the north side of the NE Buttress that would have obliterated us. Don't linger here! We also saw chucks falling off the North Slesse glacier, so it definitely isn't dormant.

On the other hand, we did the whole approach/descent in approach shoes, so boots, crampons and axes are unnecessary.

Optimally-Primed

Post by Optimally-Primed » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:55 am

I snapped this iphone image of Slesse and the ByPass Glacier from 30,000' en route to Winnipeg. Looks like excellent conditions to me. All systems go for a September ascent. What a striking line!

TravisMcC

Post by TravisMcC » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:15 am

Has anyone been up there recently? What is the status of the pocket glacier?

Todd Mackenzie
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Todd Mackenzie » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:43 pm

I was in the Rexford area yesterday and had a look at the pocket glacier through some binoculars. It is there and looks quite jumbled up, although, we only heard a few seracs fall over the 3 days we were there.

Drew

Post by Drew » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:27 pm

pic from yesterday, courtesy Donna

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:11 pm

North Rib glacier looks great, which after having done both the NEB and and North Rib I would have to say the latter is considerably better. Generally, once the pocket glacier is gone, the North Rib glacier is too broken up to cross.

ecarter1

Post by ecarter1 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:22 am

Pretty sure we heard the glacier slide yesterday. Morning and afternoon photos. Can't figure out how to embed them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97665793@ ... 953334378/

Todd Mackenzie
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Todd Mackenzie » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:31 pm

Looks like that snow finger at the top is still guarding the start of the ramp. I know some people who enjoyed the show from Rexford!

Edit: Its already been climbed since it slid: https://www.facebook.com/groups/chilliwackmc/

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:55 am

Like this Eric [img]putphotourl(.jpg)here[/img]

Little marc climbed it on the 12th and said it was still a very dangerous place to be. I am just amazed that people go for this line in early August. There is no where to run if any little piece decides to come get you. Go in September, or avoid that choss pile and do the better line to the right; the N RIb.
A party behind us bailed after several VW sized blocks ripped through the cirque as they were preparing to cross. I watched this go down from the crux of the direct route below the bivy ledge, glad no one got hurt. Its still fully heads up, make good choices.