Alpine rock in North Joffre creek

Climbing above and beyond the Chief and Squamish Crags. Check here for trip reports and new routes in the Sea to Sky backcountry
quantum7

Re: Alpine rock in North Joffre creek

Post by quantum7 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:57 am

Anyone been up this way and can make a recommendation for the best footwear for the approach?

BK

Post by BK » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:30 am

If i was to take a wild guess, running shoes. The mountains have never been more withered and dried out even in late september.

maurop
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by maurop » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:16 pm

quantum7 wrote:Anyone been up this way and can make a recommendation for the best footwear for the approach?
Not much in the way of snow/mud up in the duffey. Dry dry dry.

cganzert
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by cganzert » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:41 pm

My partner and I headed up to check out the Mighty Mouse route on Saturday. There was a little bit of uncertainty as to what to expect but from most accounts it sounded worth the trip. I have to say that overall I am pretty blown away by the quality of the climb and relative straightforwardness of the whole day. The road in was easy in my 2WD Matrix and ended with a convenient little "sign rock" that told us we had come the right way. We did the approach casually on foot in 1.5 hours.

I had no qualms with any of the anchors; even the one under the mini roof has 4 bomber nuts and the option for a cam backup for those with a raised eyebrow despite quad redundancy. The biggest concern we had going into the trip was due to the "A lesson in sketch" trip report. Although I enjoyed the writing, I feel the title should be changed to "A lesson in routefinding" as it really was as splitter and easy to follow as everybody says.

On the way out we took a while and added or built up a bunch of cairns so the approach through the talus fields should be as straight forward as the drive thru at McDonalds. If anybody is planning on heading up in the near future, a machete for shrubbery and a roll of flagging tape would be good to bring as the original tape is pretty faded and torn off in some spots.

Thanks to the route development team, this place is rad! Hoping to investigate contributing a route or two to the area in the near future.