New Crag - Rainbows and Unicorns - Murrin Park

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
smallman

New Crag - Rainbows and Unicorns - Murrin Park

Post by smallman » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:41 pm

Hi All:
I have just finished up the topo for a new cliff around the corner from Down Among the Cedars at Murrin. The name for this cliff originates from Marc Andre Leclerc's hilarious assessment of the current Squamish climbing scene: " [These] days Squamish is all about climbs for everyone and sunshine and lollipops and flowers and rainbows and families and vegan puppies." This cliff has all these elements - at least in the route names. There are routes with puppies and rainbow and babies and lollipops. And there are climbs for everyone - grade range is 5.8 to 5.12. Those accustomed to having no brainer straight in splitter crack gear placements will need to put on their thinking caps though.

This crag took a tremendous amount of work; about 400 hrs over two years to build. I would like to thank Chris Little for his scaling and trundling expertise, Jenn Plotnikoff for trail building assistance, CASBC for a good chunk of route hardware, Aaron Cornes and Todd Gerhart for belay slaving, Karen Jensen for helping with photos and finding the base materials and art talent for completing signs and Lily (age 5) for use of her artwork on signs.

Below is a photo of the cliff and a link to the topo.

Roger Curry on Rainbows and Unicorns 5.8

Topo: http://quickdrawpublications.com/wp/wp- ... icorns.pdf

Thanks and enjoy

Chris Small

scrubber

Re: New Crag - Rainbows and Unicorns - Murrin Park

Post by scrubber » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:20 pm

Looks awesome Chris! Can't wait to check it out.

K

natsdad

Post by natsdad » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:45 am

Hey Chris:

Love the names of your new climbs and can't wait to try this new crag. Many thanks for your efforts and sense of humour.

Steve

highlinestu
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by highlinestu » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:39 pm

Hello folks, I am wondering if anyone has climbed the two open projects at this wall? I climbed "open project #2" today and it was very excellent. Thank you Chris

robby
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by robby » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:10 pm

Hey Stu, Dude I sent it yesterday and sent chris the info last night, sorry bro, great route though eh? I thought 12b ish what ya think?

highlinestu
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by highlinestu » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:34 am

HA! i kind of figured you would have, after i got down from having a look i was going to tell you to send it but you had already started up a route. good work, great route 12b is spot on in my opinion.

smallman

Post by smallman » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:54 pm

Did either of you try project one ? If you guys are into cleaning up open projects there are still three open projects at Down Among the Cedars and I have one near Quercus also.
i have sent the updated topo to quickdrawpublications and it should be posted shortly.

robby
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by robby » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:31 pm

I did have a tickle at proj 1, definitely climbable but couldn't fit my fingers in the crucial holds. Which is the one near quercus?