Jingus the Cat - Rescrubbed and Dug-Out

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
MarkR

Jingus the Cat - Rescrubbed and Dug-Out

Post by MarkR » Sat May 14, 2016 8:14 pm

We dug out the base of Jingus the Cat over the spring, as it helped sustain a grove of prickle-bushes that made the start quite nasty and seemed to discourage traffic, leading it to being overgrown.

Before:

After:

This adds about 15-20 feet of low-5th climbing to the route, but this is protectable if need be. We also scrubbed down and scraped out the crack, added some chains to the raw bolt hangers and cleared the trail as best we could.

I checked my step counter today - it's 650 steps from Exasperator to Seasoned in the Sun, but only 500 steps more to Jingus the Cat. If you hauled your gear far enough to climb SITS, you might as well go a little further and add another pitch of classic 5.10 climbing to your day!

(Also, as you can see from the second photo, some lowlife spray-painted the wall. I've left a wire brush up there with my rope as I plan to scrape that sh*t off, but if you are up there and want to do some community service, the brush is hanging from the tree.)

natsdad

Re: Jingus the Cat - Rescrubbed and Dug-Out

Post by natsdad » Mon May 16, 2016 9:35 am

Hey MarkR:

Thanks very much for this service to the climbing community. :D Jingus the Cat is a great one and is highly recommended for any 5.10 (and up) lead climber! Get on this classic, people and stop it from mossing over.

cheers,
Steve

Dru@Work
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Dru@Work » Wed May 18, 2016 8:28 am

The area from Jingus over to the edge of the Apron is prone to rockfall from the roofs around Never Never & Vulcan's Artery. Not a daily occurrence, but I was up there once in the rain lookin for dropped gear and a fridge sized boulder landed 100 feet away. It was pretty scary. Fortunately my pants were already brown.

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Thu May 19, 2016 4:19 am

Looks great! Thanks for putting in the hours. I'll definitely be trying to get up there this Spring.

K

geoffgeorges
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by geoffgeorges » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:19 am

Thank you Mark. It is a good line. The rope was laying in the dirt- looked better then some ropes I climb with. I set it on a rock. I was wondering if the anchor was set up for the 5.12, seems convoluted to traverse over left, why not go up corner a bit further?

MarkR

Post by MarkR » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:51 pm

geoffgeorges wrote:I was wondering if the anchor was set up for the 5.12, seems convoluted to traverse over left, why not go up corner a bit further?

I'm guessing this is in the interest of utilizing a ledge to stand on and avoid a hanging belay? I can't really picture the second pitch at the moment.

Thanks for moving the rope - I really have to head up and take that down, the weather's just been too nice for chores. Maybe this weekend.