New Crag, Murrin Park

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
smallman

New Crag, Murrin Park

Post by smallman » Sat May 16, 2015 8:25 am

Hi All: After a winter and spring of solid scrubbing, Matt Magee and I are ready to unveil a new primarily trad cliff in Murrin Park to the public. Altamont is directly north of Woodstock in the gully on the new Capilano Connector between Woodstock and Quercus. For those who don't know, Altamont was the other big 1969 music festival at which the Rolling Stones headlined. Poorly organized, the festival ended with the security providers, the Hells Angels, killing a concert goer while the Stone were on stage. In retrospect it probably was not the best idea to pay the Hells Angels in beer prior to the show. Route names of the climbs reflect this history with my routes being named after Rolling Stones songs and Matt's routes being quotes from A Rolling Stone article about the festival.

The climbing at Altamont reflects this history, It is steeper and more technical than the adjacent Woodstock. The climbing style is similar to Skaha's with lots of crimps, edges and sidepulls. The quality index we feel is very high (similar to Pet Wall but more moderate in grade). Anyway, we hope you enjoy the routes. At this time two routes are still projects (Under my Thumblock and Waiting for a Friend). To respect the 30 - 40 hrs of scrubbing work per pitch I ask people to please stay off these routes until the fixed ropes are pulled and climbs are open. I am nearly there for both routes. Thanks.

The topo is located herehttp://quickdrawpublications.com/wp/wp- ... tamont.pdf

Have a good day
Chris Small

tobyfk

Re: New Crag, Murrin Park

Post by tobyfk » Sat May 16, 2015 9:32 am

Thanks Chris and Matt

Skaha-like :D

smallman

Re: New Crag, Murrin Park

Post by smallman » Sun May 31, 2015 6:34 pm

Waiting on a friend is now completed. I think it is in the 10d/11a range but that needs consensus.