Anyone keen on offwidths....

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
NateDoggOG

Anyone keen on offwidths....

Post by NateDoggOG » Fri May 02, 2014 7:42 pm

Last summer I was hanging around the Darkside underneath the North Walls with some friends. They were all scrubbing and sending new lines in the vicinity of 911. I'm not sure why, perhaps I had watched Wide Boyz recently, but I had it in my mind that I wanted to find an offwidth boulder problem. I wandered around a bit, and found something that may be Squamish's first true offwidth boulder. It took a couple visits, but I was able to figure it out and today I made the FA.
Here are the details.

Lawndart, FA Nathan Roberts
Location: The Darkside - go up the trail towards 911. When 911 is directly on your left, there are a couple large scrubbed boulders on the right. Go right, between two boulders, the one with a highball corner feature will be on your left. Step up, go straight across a little goat trail to the problem.

It's a roof in a sort of cave, goes from offwidth size into a weird flaring type thing then widens enough to chimney size. Start near the back where the crack is narrowest (hand stacks) and make your way back out to the entrance, using whatever trickery you have at your disposal.

I actually am not sure how to grade this, as I have never climbed anything like it. If you hit everything properly, perhaps V3/4, but on the other hand expect it to feel harder.

Maybe I can find someone with a current topo for the Darkside to add it's location.
Have fun.