The Trestle

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
Peter

The Trestle

Post by Peter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:11 pm

South facing cliff, over the Chekamus River. Full sun. Vertical to overhanging, techy long routes. Only 5 at the moment, but are very good. It's been around for a little while, just didn't announce it.
Getting there:
Same rough area as Star Chek. Northbound from Chek, once heading down the hill park at the second gravel pullout on the left. It is the one that is now blocked with concrete barriers. Walk past the barriers into the main gravel lot. Exit the lot towards the cliff edge, go down a corner/ramp to locate a fixed line. Rap down the 3m line to the top of the crag. You will see the stations of 3 routes on the edge. Currently, you must rap down to the base of the routes which are on a big sloping ledge. There are good flat spots to belay from. There are belay bolts and a fixed line along the base. You can escape to the ground if necessary, via rapping down to the talus. Then walk south and back around, there is a trail but might be hard to find. So it's best to top out, to get out. Top 100 is not reachable from the top. All routes P.Winter except Fallen Camrad which is M.McCarthy/P.Winter

Climbers' Left to Right:

Top 100
12c
Gently overhanging, fantastic route. Runout at the end, but easy terrain.

White Noise
12 a/b
Bouldery start (very bouldery) leads to a funky traverse and techy climbing. Starts by the tree. Stick clip the 2nd bolt if you want.

Open Kimono
12 a
Straight up the face through the big white scar.

Two Fingers to Freedom
12 a/b
Moderate climbing with a techy middle crux leads to a crux bulge pull. Runout from there up the crack (easy)

Fallen Camrad
GEAR. Corner at the top of the ramp. By the big tree. Start up the piled blocks and gain the nice corner. Gear: 1 or 2 red and gold camalots, 1 or 2 yellow/orange tcu's. No bolt station-use the tree for belay.

I'm working on another cliff just to the south of the talus, but nothing finished yet.

Drew

Re: The Trestle

Post by Drew » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:59 am

From your description I think this 5.8 corner you mention is one that has previously been climbed. Right facing corner?

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if it had.....got any info?

Drew

Post by Drew » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:05 am

We checked it out in the early 90s. I thought it was 5.9. Kevin McLane told me that it had already been climbed but that he didn't know who had done the FA. I expect that it was originally done in the 1970s, at the same time that several of the routes along the trail down to Starvation Lake were climbed.

In the McLane Whistler Rockclimbs guide from 2000, this is vaguely referenced on p.61

slhughes

Post by slhughes » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:45 pm

climbed here today. great winter winter spot. (see what i did there, eh?) great routes. great location. you should go there

ChuckMathers

Post by ChuckMathers » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:32 am

Is now Star Chek now blocked with concrete barriers? Didn't know that. Last time I went there, there used to be clay route if not concrete driveway which was a pretty easy trekking.