Rock fall Hazard still on Apron.‏

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
Crosby
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Rock fall Hazard still on Apron.‏

Post by Crosby » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:38 pm

by Crosby » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:32 pm

This block is about 2 feet in diameter and 6 inches thick. It is preciously balanced on this small tree. The rock is directly above Over the Rainbow, Sickle and Deirdre. I recommend to not climb anything south of Deirdre before it is cleaned out.

Crosby Johnston
ACMG / IFMGA Mountain Guide
P: +1 604 848 8543
info@altusmountainguides.com
http://www.altusmountainguides.com

jred

Re: Rock fall Hazard still on Apron.‏

Post by jred » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:58 pm

I will give you a hand, we can go up late at night and have a few people on the ground...if the wind doesn't do it first. Give me a call. Jesse

imnotnate

Post by imnotnate » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Something pretty big came down from around there on Canada day, right at dusk. A bunch of us were heading up the apron on various routes at sunset... a party on diedre was pretty close to the rockfall, and when i went up banana peel shortly thereafter (i didn't see the rockfall) there were big rock scars on the starting slab for banana peel/diedre/etc which confused me... isn't the apron a bastion of solid rock safety?? :o

After whatever came down came down, there was still a big rock (i assume the one in this picture) precariously perched, waiting to tumble. Real bad spot....

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:42 am

Wow, sounds like a close call for that party on the Apron. I would like to hear that story. Stay tuned to hear what happens to the death block being held back by that junior tree on the treed ledge above. It would be good to know the source of that rockfall in case there are other blocks ready to go.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

asc
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by asc » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:56 am

I've heard the Apron is closed (or going to be closed) from Diedre to Over the Rainbow. Climbing across these lines to reach the southern routes is not recommended nor is climbing on the Lower Apron.

Parks has contacted a geologist to assess the rock fall and, if required, a local company to clear the debris and scale to remove further hazard. It sounds like the goal is to have this done by tomorrow night.

Lets try to stay out of the area for the next two days so as to not prolongue closures. It is possible that fixed lines may be set up along the Broadway Ledge descent, please respect the equipment and workers up there.

greenerj
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by greenerj » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:19 pm

Climbed White lightning today and noticed the block is gone.... Wear those helmets kids!!

ErikF
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by ErikF » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:01 pm

Somehow I missed the memo and did Bottom Line and Diedre yesterday evening. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary except the puzzling lack of traffic. I must have missed the signs at the bottom? Hopefully no other clueless grapplers blunder in there before this gets more stable.

smallman

Post by smallman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:12 pm

The hazard was trundled on Friday AM and the closure was lifted.

ErikF
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by ErikF » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Great, and many thanks to whoever arranged the safe trundle. Any further investigation of the source, and/or cleaning of the active area just under the block in the photo? From the evidence there must be two inline active areas.

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Refer to this thread:
South Apron Re-opens July 5th
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb