Trundling opportunity

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
RocksArePeopleToo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Trundling opportunity

Post by RocksArePeopleToo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:09 pm

There's a report on Mountain Project of a large loose block next to the top anchor on Borderline. I checked with Andy, who made the report, and confirmed that it's by/on the dead snag that's a couple meters R of the final ring anchors on top of p5. (It's not behind the dead snag midway up the pitch, as I had feared when I first saw the post.) So, while it's easily avoidable and not technically on the route, it probably could use a good shove if anyone is up to the task. I don't get up to Squamish much anymore, but would be grateful if someone else signed up for the trundle.

Some background/details:
* When we first cleaned p5, the lower pitches were already in Kevin's guidebook and getting traffic, and people were starting to walk the Badge/Crest traverse trail along the base. That's the main reason we never took out that particular snag, or the other large snag midway up the pitch, above the short RFC. That, and the fact that we really didn't have a clue at that point on how to safely clean a big new route.
* Anything that comes off that pitch lands in the trail area about 3/4 of the way from the Badge to Angel's Crest, near where the trail winds under some big overhangs and then starts to climb toward AC.
* I'd love to see someone take a saw to that other large snag, or remove it some other way. It would make sense to to this on the same trip.

Volunteers will earn my eternal gratitude.

Thanks, Eric