Teetering on the Brink of Madness

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
scrubber

Re: Teetering on the Brink of Madness

Post by scrubber » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:45 pm

Yeah, I looked over there. It's pretty hard to envision The Grim Reaper as much of an independent line anymore. Parts of it are there, but much of it is so close to The Crossing and The Climbers Must be Crazy that you'd just have to avoid their bolts to be on the line.

I think it's pretty much just one for the history books. It would be interesting to have a go at it once just to get the t-shirt...

K

t-bone

Post by t-bone » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:51 am

There was a post on MountainProject from 2013 that indicated the route is mossy - has anyone been up there since?

Also, I'm curious how much of a step up this climb is from Dancing in the Light? Judging from the earlier posts it seems that the 5.9/10- runouts are similar, but I'm guessing there is more sustained 10+/11- climbing? Any feedback would be appreciated...

jstod

Post by jstod » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:03 pm

There was a post on MountainProject from 2013 that indicated the route is mossy - has anyone been up there since?
Climbed this route last season and don't recall any problems with moss. There may have been some to the left of the crux on second to last pitch but that didn't interfere with the climbing. Definitely worth doing.

Julian

gnarnaphobe

Post by gnarnaphobe » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:40 pm

T-bone: in my opinion teetering is one step down from Dancing in the light both in terms of technical difficulties and runouts.

If I recall correctly DitL has a significant run out on one of the lower pitches then is relatively well protected after that.

Teetering is well protected throughout.

LC
Imaging how much funner this could be with booze and explosives

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:12 pm

I'd say that teetering has a slightly harder crux sequence, but DITL is much more sustained. I enjoy the unusual and varied climbing on Teetering quite a bit more. It definitely kept your attention when it was still 1/4 inch bolts.

K

rolfr

Post by rolfr » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:52 pm

A few thoughts from the "back in my day climber". I always felt Teetering was a far more serious route, on the 4th crack pitch leading to the slab, the crux was well above your bolt, at a hard 10D/11A ,while DITL only had serious run-outs on the easier pitches. That pitch always had my attention!
For head spinning run-outs, pitch 5 of Dream On deserves mention, but that may also have been tamed by additional bolts and an added belay from the extension of Firewalk.

Slab climbing is such a head game , definitely an acquired taste. A handful of us oldsters are still putting up slab routes over the winters in Joshua Tree, but thankfully the bolts are much closer together.