Murrin Park New developed areas

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
smallman

Murrin Park New developed areas

Post by smallman » Wed May 25, 2011 5:03 pm

With the rainy weather, I have been tromping around Murrin Park exploring and came across two (new?) developed areas not in either guidebook. One is located above the North side of Lakeside in the woods and looks spectacular with some stellar looking sport and mixed lines. The other is just North of the Genesis area. Does anyone have any info about these cliffs?

Marc Bourdon
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Re: Murrin Park New developed areas

Post by Marc Bourdon » Thu May 26, 2011 6:10 am

I might...

When you say "north of Genesis", I"m not sure exactly what you mean, but in the trees above the north end of the parking lot (50 m uphill or less) is a narrow, tall crag below a steep, white overhang. It's got a super nice looking moderate (Beginner's Luck, 5.7) that leads to a steep roof crack (The Punisher, 5.12c). Both were put up by Colin Moorhead. There's also a steep 5.10 corner above the chains for Beginner's Luck that looks decent.

Don

Post by Don » Thu May 26, 2011 11:47 am

http://www.squamishclimbing.com/squamis ... urrin+park

Here's a previous post on the crag you might be wondering about....some really nice routes here, deserves more visits.

smallman

Post by smallman » Thu May 26, 2011 9:12 pm

No. I have done these climbs. This is a completely new cliff above and north of Lakeside in the Woods. Great looking stuff too.

Dru

Post by Dru » Fri May 27, 2011 7:17 pm

If it's the Lost In Obscurity area, those date back to 2004 or so. Kevin didn't put them in the 2005 guidebook because he had no info on names or grades

smallman

Post by smallman » Fri May 27, 2011 9:53 pm

I am thinking that this area is newer than 2004 cause it is pretty clean with little moss growing on it.

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Mon May 30, 2011 11:19 am

No one wants to take credit yet for these climbs? They sound good. What would you guess the grade of these climbs?

Everyone, Chris Small (smallman) put up some new routes at the western end of Pet Wall New Routes 2009 – 2010 Pet Wall, Murrin Park, Squamish, BC if you haven't climbed them you should. Including a four star moderate - Heavy Petting Action 10a - which is not that common in the hardcore Pet Wall area.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

smallman

Post by smallman » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:29 am

I need to retro scrub the lowest section Underwire again at lower pet wall again. It got a little mossy (algae actually) over the Extended winter. Or if people climb it should stay clean. Also I think I may have sand bagged Heavy petting action at 10a. Or that is what some people are telling me. But thanks for the compliment. It makes the development work worth it.

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:20 am

I have climbed there at lower pet a few times and yes the lower section is mossy(ish) now. I think your main problem is lack of a drawn topo. Get one up at quickdraw and I bet it gets some traffic to keep clean.

I have only climbed the route heavy petting action, or the one with the tag on the bolt. IF your not vigilant you end up finishing on the left route cracks, its probably 10a that way?

I never really know where the other routes go...so never tried

Thanks